SB9

Dakota Smith

2:24 pm - September 27th 2023

Dakota tapped her mechanical pencil against the glass top before pursing her lips together, with brief thought she made the pencil meet the piece of blank copy paper as she began to draw. The new month approaching meant she needed some new sketches on the florist shop's chalk board. And as always, she liked to do a rough draft on paper before actually executing her drafts on the chalkboard.

"I ain't know you could draw." Nas voiced from behind her, causing her to turn around. She lightly chuckled while continuing to draw, since next month was October, she was basing her sketches off of that. "I don't consider myself an artist or nothing...it's just cute little sketches." Dakota replied. One of her favorite things about the season was rewatching the Halloween movies that she grew up watching, so she was sure to incorporate that on the chalk board. She even started to draw a pumpkin spice frappe, due to her newfound liking of them.

"So, who taught you how to draw?" Nas questioned, referencing the question she asked him when they had lunch together. Dakota slightly shrugged her shoulders, "Me, I guess." She answered with a silence filling chuckle. Dakota still didn't think she was that good at drawing, since her sketches were very basic and didn't require much skill.

"We got the jazz, we got the jazz." Her father's voice sounded after the door alarm, she looked in that direction with a big smile on her face. "Wassup twin." Dalvin greeted while motioning for a hug.

"Hey daddy." Dakota greeted back as she wrapped her arms around her father, giving her a good whiff of his cologne. Dalvin was dressed comfortably in a blank Ralph Lauren t shirt and the matching sweat pants, Dakota figured the jacket wasn't too far away and was probably in his car. On Dalvin's feet were a pair of Jordan 5s and as per usual, he always had a watch of his left wrist, his wedding ring, and his Diamond chain that had Dakota's name on it.

"What you doing?" Dalvin questioned, eying the paper that was on the counter. "Sketching up some stuff for the chalk board." Dakota answered while putting the pencil back in her hold.

"I know my birthday better be on there somewhere." Dalvin voiced, causing Dakota to lightly chuckle. Her father was an October libra, which explained his big personality. "Speaking of that, what you want for your birthday?" Dakota questioned. Dalvin had it all. Shoes, clothes, fragrances, jewelry, and more. Making it harder and harder for his family to gift him each year.

"I want—" Dalvin started to explain before cutting himself off, "Who that is?" He questioned with his southern drawl on full affect. Dakota slightly looked to the side of her before returning her attention back to her father.

"Nasiem, he's my new employee." Dakota answered. Nas extended his hand to dap Dalvin up, but Dalvin didn't budge. Instead, he had a puzzled look painted on his face as if he was in deep thought. Meanwhile, Dakota was praying her father didn't bring up any sensitive subjects.

"You Savannah and Sean's boy, right?" Dalvin questioned, causing Dakota to internally sigh as she wasn't sure what direction this conversation was headed. "Yes, sir." Nas answered, briefly nodding his head.

Dalvin extended his hand, he faintly nodded his head while initing a handshake. "Welcome home." Dalvin announced while pulling him in for a half hug, where he then sent his back a couple firm pats. Dakota quickly remembered that her father knew everybody, so it wasn't uncanny for him to know Nasiem's parents as well. Dakota began to wonder where she was when all this went down, and why was she just now hearing about it. "Preciate it." Nas replied. Dakota made a mental note to bring this up to her father when Nas wasn't in their presence.

Nas returned back to his station, leaving Dakota and her father behind the counter. "What you gotta say about this hairstyle, daddy?" Dakota questioned as she looked up at her father, placing both hands on her hips. Dalvin dramatically eyed his daughter, scoring a child like chuckle from her. "I love it—but it's never about what I like, long as you comfortable and happy, I'm happy too." Dalvin assured.