SB29

Dakota Smith

7:25 pm - December 31st 2023

After taking a few cat naps throughout the day, Dakota was up and ready to bring in the new year with her family. Her mother was very serious about no one sleeping during the countdown, instead she wanted everybody up and counting down with a glass of champagne in one hand and a noise maker in the other. Last year, Kacey wasn't in attendance since he had a walk through at a club, so Dakota was excited that he was bringing in the new year with them.

Dakota pulled her personal copy of the key to her mother and father's home out of her purse, before hopping out of her vehicle that she parked in the driveway. She used her key to unlock the door, sending a greeting into the air to announce her arrival. "We got the jazz, we got the jazz." Dalvin rapped from the kitchen, immediately putting a smile on Dakota's face. The chant resulted in the same reaction, no matter how many times she heard it. Dakota traveled to the kitchen and spotted her father eating some aesthetically cut fruit from the clear organizers that her mother had in the fridge. 

"You riding with us real quick to get some Dom Perignon?" Dalvin questioned as he grabbed a piece of paper towel to wipe his mouth. "Yeah." Dakota shook her head yes while reaching for a slice of pineapple. She slightly made her face up at how sour the fruit was, which made her opt for strawberries her next go round.

Shortly, Amethyst appeared, making her presence known by the sound of her Tom Ford boots clacking against the Italian marble floors. Her favorite perfume was another big indication that she was in the amongst them, as it sent soft powdery floral notes into the air. "I'm ready." She announced. Some might've thought she was dressed up, but Amethyst was honestly never dressed down.

Dalvin walked over to his wife and picked her up, tossing her body over his shoulder effortlessly, as if she was feather weight. Amethyst chuckled while using her free hand to softly hit his back. Meanwhile, Dakota was all smiles as she watched the scene unfold. It was heartening to see her to see her parents still in love after all these years, the romance and humor was still clearly on fire between the two. "I told you bout them heels on my Italian marble." Dalvin voiced, smacking Amethyst's ass while carrying her out to the garage.

A leer dressed Dakota's face as she faintly shook her head at her parent's antics. She placed the fruit back into the fridge, and grabbed her purse before following her parents into the garage. She looked around and found that they were in her father's F-150, waiting on her. Dakota slid in the backseat and sat her purse beside her, prior to fastening her seatbelt.

"Let me put on something my son produced." Dalvin spoke while scrolling through his Apple Music, scoring a light chuckle from Dakota. Soon, one of the songs Kacey produced began to play throughout the car. It wasn't long before he turned the volume down, so he could talk. "I went over my life insurance policy the other day—y'all know how even more set y'all gon' be if something happen to me?" Dalvin questioned. Dakota took her eyes off of the window and put them on her father.

"Stop talking like that—we set now." Amethyst replied in a frustrated manner. "Exactly." Dakota chimed in as she toyed with the gold chain on her handbag.

"We got more important things to worry about—like what we eating tonight." She added, hoping to change the subject completely. The thought of losing any of her loved ones made her feel sick, especially her brother and parents. "I let the caterer choose—it's supposed to be all of her specialties." Amethyst answered.

Subsequently, the trio made it to Total Wine. Dalvin pushed the buggy as Dakota and Amethyst walked on each side of him. "Ou! Come look at these wine glasses with me, Kota." Amethyst instructed as she stopped in her tracks. Dalvin continued his tasks of getting the champagne while Dakota and her mother looked at the small selection of wine glasses.