Chapter 35

Quick author's note

Sorry about how slow these uploads are. At the current moment, I'm working on creative projects within another account, so this one is no longer in my main focus. But, rereading Akame Ga Kill has been pretty fun, so I feel like continuing. 

On that note, I guess I should specify that this fanfiction is gonna be based mostly on the Manga as opposed to the anime. Forgot if I mentioned that or not. 

Enjoy the chapter! 

"Oh, there they are." I said, as Mine and I sat in the cabin together. Looking out the front window, I spotted Bulat, Seryu, and Tatsumi walking back. While we were out fooling around on a date, it looks like they went out training. 

"Yo! What's up, lovebirds!" Bulat said upon swinging the front door open. 

"Lovebirds?" I tilted my head, not quite getting it. Mine seemed to get it though; she blushed pretty heavily, but didn't say anything back. 

"I see you two went out to fool around in town together." He said, "Just make sure you're keeping up with your training." 

"Oh... right." I almost forgot about that with how focused I was on the date we were having. "It's hard... No one else but Mine knows how to do marksmen things. So it's not like I can ask someone like you to help me train with that." 

"Hmm...? What about that?" Bulat gestured to the corner of the room that contained my belongings. There, amongst a small personal bag, was the white katana that I dueled Benjamin with in his final moments. I stared over at it, almost longingly, and sighed. 

"I dunno. It feels... weird to be using that sword." I said, staring absentmindedly at it. "I... can't bring myself to pick it up most days." 

"Why's that?" Bulat asked, sitting down on the couch next to Mine and me. 

I paused, staring at the weapon for a moment. "It feels wrong." I said. 

"Now, now, (f/n). You can't let the past be holding you down." He said, staring into my eyes, right into my soul. "That blade is important. It's the one that you killed Benjamin with. He was your other half, right? Your... emotions, your soul."

It felt like a fire lit up in his eyes, "You literally killed your emotions. Just as any assassin should. Be proud of what you did and pick up that blade again." 

I looked up into his eyes. I almost felt myself getting swept away in his passion. I know that Bulat was the main benefactor in terms of Tatsumi's training. I could definitely see why. With just a few words, I could feel myself reconsidering the things that were maybe holding it back.

But he closed his eyes and leaned back on the couch a moment later. "Well... What I'm saying is, don't let the past hold you back. If you want to pick up that sword again, do it. If not, we can always just have Najenda send us over a sample set of weapons for you to try." He slapped by back in a friendly way, his strength sending me lurching forward a bit. 

Bulat stood up to leave me to my thoughts, as I leaned back against the couch. I stared up at the ceiling and sighed. 

Mine sat close to me still, our shoulders touching. "He's right, you know." She said, "I never really speak with Bulat. But I also admit that he knows what he's talking about with that sort of thing. He's... in touch with his emotions, I guess. Enough that he can keep them well-understood." 

"Yeah, I guess so." I said, deep in thought. I stared back down at the katana on the floor. Do I want to use it? Or do I just have a morbid curiosity related to the tool that took my emotions off of this mortal plane. 

"You know that you don't have to decide now. You still need to learn how to shoot Pumpkin. Since working together is going to be a given for future missions, you should at least be a decent shot." Mine stood up and reached for her Imperial Arms, which was on the floor next to my stuff. "Wanna give it another try?" She asked, holding her gun up on her shoulder. 

***

"So... this was all that the empire could muster up for me...?" 

Esdeath stared down at a file of papers, which contained Five documents on people. Five Imperial arms users of the requested six that she had asked for weeks ago. 

"I apologize, general. We had trouble finding soldiers who were both loyal to the empire, and skilled combatants." Prime Minister Honest was standing next to her as Esdeath reviewed the files on each member in the room. "Our ideal candidate for the last member would have been Seryu Ubiquitous, but she defected to the Revolutionary army not too long ago. Following that, we wished to enlist Benjamin to your team, assuming you could whip him into shape, but his current status is unknown." 

She sighed out while looking through the documents. "And what of my other request?" 

"Your other request..? Ah, of course, you wished to fall in love, did you not? We have attempted to find a suitor for you according to your request, but it's quite difficult." 

"Then I have an idea. I'm going to kill two birds with one stone." 

"Oh? And how do you plan to do that?" Honest asked. 

Esdeath smiled, "I need to reserve the colosseum a week from now. I'm going to host a tournament." 

The world was changing around us. With massive changes to the Revolutionary Army's Night Raid, and a new elite branch being formed within the Empire following the deaths of the Three Beasts, the strongest fighters in the nation were all coming together. And soon, they'd be forced to clash with each other. 

It was, at last, time for a major direct conflict to begin between Night Raid and the Empire.