Chapter 8 - Relaxation

"So what do we plan to do about this target of ours? He's obviously very strong." Tatsumi said as we all remained gathered around. Najenda definitely appeared to be deep in thought as she seemed to be conjuring up a plan in her head. She let out a sigh before speaking.
"So, the first thing we need to find out is what our enemy is capable of. Mainly if he has an imperial arms or not."
Leone butted in first. "Well, he probably does right? Assuming what Mine and (F/n) saw was right."
Mine interjected after her. "There's no doubt about it. Even his own guards seemed to have a lot of trouble keeping up. From here, I'd say it's more a matter of figuring out what his imperial arms does." She said with more concentration than usual.
"I suppose you're right... (f/n). You were the one who got the closest to engaging with him. What can you tell me?"
I thought about it for a moment before putting my thoughts together. "Well... he was not only extremely fast but also extremely strong. Mine was also taking shots at him. But it didn't seem to slow him down at all. So we can also assume he has a high amount of defense as well, or his imperial arms has some sort of reflecting ability. Either way, he's probably extremely dangerous."
Najenda thought about it for a while. "Alright. For now, Night Raid will avoid any missions in the capital. They're too dangerous at the moment. For now, we'll take smaller jobs in other cities. Until then, we'll have our scouts get more information on our enemy. Everyone is dismissed." Everyone slowly cleared out of the room. However, I just stood there, unsure of what to do. I tilted my head, trying to think of something that I don't keel over from boredom. And it'd be a waste to just sit around and do nothing all day. But among the people still standing there, I noticed Mine.
And she was... staring at me. She looked away with a slight blush, presumably realizing just then that she was staring.
"I guess I could hang out with her a bit..." I mumbled as I started walking towards her. She was still avoiding eye contact with me. But I kept moving my head around her to try and get her attention.
"W-what do you want?!? You're like a clingy child!" She shouted as she finally acknowledged that I was there.
I stared for a moment, as I wasn't completely expecting her to shout. "I'm bored."
Mine seemed irked by this statement as her eye twitched a bit. "You really are like a child..."
"What if I take you to a cafe or something? It'll be my treat." I say, trying to bargain with her.
Her eyes opened and she finally showed some interest. She gave a sigh before turning the rest of her body towards me to look at my face. "Fine. I haven't tried many cafes outside of the capital. So I'll go with you." She said as she started walking out of the door. I followed her in tow.

***

"So which one did you want to go to?" I asked as she dragged me along a city.
She put her finger on her chin, giving it some thought. "Not sure yet... I'm still looking."
'Maybe this was a mistake...' I thought to myself as I was dragged along for the nth minute now. However, I was quickly corrected as Mine finally chose a place.
"Hey! This looks nice!" She said as she saw a nice looking place. It had a lot of bright colors on it which is probably what made Mine choose it in the first place. She quickly walked in and I was forced to follow.

After we ordered and got our stuff, we sat down at a table. I got a simple cup of coffee. Mine on the other hand got a parfait, a cake, and an iced coffee with extra cream. I doubt she would have gotten that much if she was the one paying.
She gave a light giggle as she took a spoonful from one of her parfaits. "You're not too bad when you're treating me nicely." She said half-jokingly.
"I guess I'll take that as a compliment," I said with a deadpan tone. "You're pretty cute too. When you're being nice like this." Mine's face went crimson red to match the strawberry on her parfait.
"C-cute?!?" She said with a flustered tone. "Are you h-hitting on me?!?"
I tilted my head. "No. I just think you look cute. And you sometimes act cute as well." Mine's blush just turned more and more intense as I spoke. She turned away with a pout.
"Quit being a tease..." she mumbled.
"Did you say something?"
"N-no!" She quickly shot back. "Just don't worry about it." She took another spoonful from her parfait.
"... Hey Mine. What do you think that guy's imperial arms does?" I asked suddenly.
"What? The blonde-haired guy? Well, our scouts are finding out about him. So we'll know soon right?" Mine said.
"Well, Yeah. I hope. But I'm kinda worried. I could barely take him on. Not to mention he managed to find us while we were sneaking around..." I said as I went into deep thought, but maintained my plain expression.
Mine put her finger on her chin. "I guess you're right... he might be trouble for the scouts. Should we tell Najenda to call them off?"
"Well, I'm not sure. But at the very least, we should let her know about this." I said as I finished off my cup of coffee. "You know. Just in case. Better safe than sorry."
"I guess so." She said as she finished off her parfait. "I guess I'll take the cake with me to go." She said as she went up to the front to get a box. However, as she was up there, I noticed something that was off. The atmosphere all around me felt weird. I felt like...
"I'm being watched," I said as I turned my head and saw a shadowy figure peeking out from behind the glass windows of the cafe. The moment I saw the figure, they backed off.
"You ready to go?" Mine asked with her cake in a small box. "What's wrong?" She asked as she took note of my slightly more serious facial expression.
"Mine. Do you have your rifle on you?" I asked.
"Huh? Yeah. I always keep pumpkin on me when I go out." She said as she tugged on a strap on her shoulder. "Why do you ask?"
"Because. I think the enemy knows we're here. We should go..." I said with a grim look on my face. I felt a conflict coming up deep inside me. And unlike most conflicts which I see as more of a source of entertainment, I had a feeling of dread with this one.