Chapter 14 - Frustration

The three of us made our way through town with all of our hoods on. Sheele seemed to be having a good time, but Mine seemed slightly unhappy with something.

"Are you ok, Mine?" I moved close to her and asked in a quiet voice.

"Huh? Y-Yeah, I'm fine." She said, turning away. It was clear that she was not, in fact, fine, and that something was bothering her.

I wasn't quite sure what to do. I stared at Mine for a moment and reached out, placing my hand on top of her head which was a bit lower than mine. Then, I gave her some head pats. She blushed wildly in response and tensed up, before backing away from my hand.

"Wha- What are you doing!" She said rather loudly. I backed up a bit, thinking that I might have bothered her or something.

Sheele turned around and moved over to us. "Is something wrong, you two?"

"Oh, it's nothing." I responded. I turned to Mine. "Sorry."

Mine's expression was one of embarrassment. She was holding the top of her head with a blush on her face. "Y-You can't just... pat... pat my head like that...!" She muttered, wary of Sheele and the other citizens around us.

"Ooohh... Are you two together?" Sheele suddenly asked.

"What?!? Of course not..." Mine muttered, looking away. "Not right now, anyways..."

"'Not right now'? What does that mean?" Sheele asked, tilting her head.

"Ah, god... why are you two so airheaded..." She muttered. "Whatever, it's nothing. Let's keep walking so we can buy Najenda's crab or whatever."

Sheele paused for a moment, hesitating and walking forward ahead of us.

I continued walking too, but Mine walked close to me and pushed herself against my shoulder a bit. "Hey..." I looked down over to her near my shoulder. She was clinging to me, maybe just a bit. "You can pat my head... just warn me before you do." Her voice was soft and lacked the edge that it did when she was flustered. I thought Mine was cute while she was embarrassed, but this was even better.

"Ok. I'm petting your head then." I said, feeling a swell of excitement coming up inside of me. I reach over and pet her head once more, this time slow and gently. She kept close to me while avoiding eye contact

"...Thanks..." She said quietly while we walked.

Eventually, we stopped what we were doing and started shopping again. However, before we could even enter a store to buy our first item, we saw something that stopped us in our tracks.

Just ahead of us in the shopping area we were in, there was a girl with light armor and long brown hair tied into a ponytail. At her side below her, there was a small dog-like creature.

"Is that..." I started to quietly mutter to myself. Mine and Sheele had clearly already picked up on the girl.

It wasn't like it was hard to do so. She stood out for various reasons. Other than her dog weapon that stood by her side, she had no hands or arms. In place of where they would be, there were two stumps wrapped in bandages.

There was one more thing that made us notice her fast. Standing right next to her was a man with blonde hair and blue eyes, standing about 6' 3".

It was unmistakable, looking at him and the girl. "That's Seryu Ubiquitous," I said quietly. "And, perhaps more importantly... Benjamin Morrow."

"Did he always have blue eyes?" Mine asked.

"I don't know," I mumbled. "I remember green eyes. Stay hidden, you two."