Chapter 36 - Their fist, My blade

Author's Note:

From now on, all minor updates will take place in the feed on my profile. Please be sure to follow my wattpad profile and check in on the community board every now and then for minor updates. Thank you. 

------

It was a quiet night, as Night Raid's temporary second branch dashed through the capital. Quiet footsteps tapped on city rooftops

We weren't in the center of the capital, rather within one of the cities on the outskirts of what was generally considered the "Capital". Here lies dozens of only mildly rich noble men who seek nothing more than to feel a sense of power over those around them. Naturally, we were here to stop one of them. 

Mine and I stopped further back, a sightline on the building we were targeting. Seryu, Bulat, and Tatsumi all glanced back to make sure we were ready. Then, they all dashed in through the large windows of the building. 

"Nobody move!" Seryu shouted, upon landing down. Around them were a few dozen men adorned in business suits and toying around with expensive looking trinkets in their hands. 

"Everyone here is a target, kill them all." Tatsumi said, being quite intimidating under the armor of Incursio, which had now evolved to be suited to his body. 

Carnage ensued soon after as the large building was adorned with blood. 

"Slow night, huh?" I said. 

"Shut it and focus." Mine responded. 

"But I'm bored. And those three can take on anything these guys can throw at them." 

"You're probably right, but we still need to watch." Mine sighed as she stared down the sight of her rifle. "If you're gonna use Pumpkin, you're going to be a support most of the time, meant to tie up any loose ends in the mission. If there's nothing to do, that means that the mission is going smoothly." 

"Is that so...?" I sighed. 

She took her eye off of her scope and glanced over to me, "Is it that boring to you?" 

"Kind of..." I mumbled. 

"At least you're blunt about it. Thought about what weapon you want to use in the meantime? Right now you're basically just shadowing me, but that's assuming you want to use Pumpkin." 

I stared off into space as I gave it more thought. "I dunno yet."

"Uh-huh... Well, if you don't like the idea of using Pumpkin, you need to figure out what you wanna do instead. Don't go being deadweight now." She looked up at me, my eyes locking with hers. 

I looked down to her a moment, before sighing and nodding, "Yeah, you're right." 

Mine tilted her head and sighed, "Just keep it in mind going forward. Maybe you should try and pick a weapon to try out starting tomorrow? It doesn't have to be that sword, but just try out something. You're gonna need to go toe to toe with Imperial Arms users at some point." 

I stared off into the distance, vaguely in the direction of the large warehouse. I thought about Mine's words. 

"Hmm?" I blinked a few times and focused on the building. "Mine, someone's leaving the warehouse." 

"Huh?!?" Mine pushed herself back onto her scope and stared down, "Oh- you're right!" She mumbled, her voice quieting down into a low growl as she focused. "Watch my back, (F/N)..." 

I crouched next to her in a low stance, keeping an eye on our surroundings while trying to watch her closely. She let out a deep breath... and pulled the trigger. 

As she did, though, I couldn't believe my eyes. The very moment she pulled the trigger, the target she was aiming at stopped for a moment before pushing themselves back off of their foot. 

My eyes went wide, as did Mine's. "They dodged it?!" She shouted. She focused up again and fired once more. Yet again, they pushed forward and rolled past the point where the bullet landed. 

"What kind of reaction time is that...?" I mumbled. 

"It's not reaction time. It's intuition." Mine stared at them through the scope of Pumpkin. "Whoever that is, they're dodging the moment I pull the trigger. No one can react that fast." She said. 

I looked at her in a bit of shock. I turned my head and stared back at the target. "I'm gonna go attack them." I jumped up and over the cliffside we were standing on and slide down the steep hill towards them. 

Mine reached out to try to stop me, but I dashed off just a little too quick, "Wha- Wait (F/n)!" Her outstretched hand grabbed nothing as I ended up slipping by her. "Idiot! If they can dodge my shot, there's no way you can beat them..." She muttered, staring down her scope once more to keep me supported. 

I slid down as fast as I could, trying to catch up with the target. They were fast, but with a mad sprint down the steep hill, I could catch up. I heard Mine's shots ringing out over the trees as I approached. 

I came out to an flat clearing and quickly locked onto the target. "Stop!" I shouted at them. 

They looked at me with fear in their eyes. They had shoulder length purple hair and amber eyes. They were wearing a suit that gave them the look of a bodyguard.

I dashed over to them, bringing my arm out in front of me. "By the blade of destruction, I summon thee at the cost of my spirit." I said out loud

Unfortunately, as I failed to remember, that weapon was long gone by now. And so, nothing appeared in my hand. I looked down in shock at my empty palm. When I looked back up, the target was winding back their hand, balled up in a fist. 

Realizing I was about to eat a punch, I braced for impact before feeling their fist impact my face. I lost my footing... Or, actually, I simply got punched right off of my feet, and went flying backwards. 

A moment later, another shot came through from Mine. He hopped out of the way, before dashing back into the forest. 

"(F/n)!" I heard Seryu's voice behind me rushing over. I looked up from my position on the floor and watched as the rest of Night Raid came rushing in from the warehouse.

I sat up and rubbed the side of my face that took the hit, "Ah... hey, how'd the mission go?" I asked, a little dazed. 

"Are you alright?" Seryu asked, "Oh- the mission went fine! Except for that guy... girl? I dunno. Are you ok?!" 

"Yeah... I'm fine." Whoever they were, they packed a punch for someone who looked so afraid. Though, I guess I did have a bit of a blunder in trying to summon my Imperial Arms. 

Mine came sliding down from her cliffside position after, "(F/n)! You idiot!" She shouted. "That guy- girl? Whatever, they're way too tough for you. Especially without a weapon. You're strong, but nowhere near their level." 

I looked up at her a moment before sighing and turning away, "I don't think it was that. I think they just caught me off guard." I said. 

"Is that so? Did you guys fight them?" Mine asked, turning to the group. 

"I didn't get a chance to. But I definitely saw Tatsumi scrap with them." Bulat said, looking towards his protégé. 

"Oh- Yeah. I approached them to try to assassinate them. But I couldn't even hit them at all." He rubbed the back of his neck, a bit embarrassed to say that. "They were dressed like a bodyguard, right? If that's what they were doing, they did a bad job at it. Just ran away the moment blood started flying." 

"Yeah, that was odd. Anyways, it seems like the mission was a partial failure." Bulat sighed, "Luckily, almost everyone here is already on wanted posters. Except Tatsumi, who was in Incursio. So it works out." He shrugged. 

I sighed, "Guess so..." I outstretched my hand and stared at my empty palm again. That was an embarrassing blunder, trying to summon my Imperial Arms like that again... 

Clearly, I need to get training with a new weapon.