Chapter 5- A new foe

I walked out into town with Mine in front of me. Both of us had hoods that concealed us so well that I could hardly tell that it was Mine up ahead of me. I strolled along as she refused to make eye contact with me.
"Are you still mad about me falling onto you last night?" I asked, trying to break the silence between us.
She suddenly turned, revealing her blushing face to me. "S-shut up about that!" She shouted before turning back around.
I let off a large sigh. "So what are we doing?" I asked, wondering why we were seemingly aimlessly walking around town. She stopped in her tracks and turned around to meet me, finally appearing to have regained her composure.
"We're scouting out someone that we have a mission for." She said, speaking quietly so no one noticed. "He should be walking around town at about this time." She said.
"Ah. I see. Can I kill him if I come across him?" I asked.
"What?!? No! We're scouting. This isn't the actual mission, you idiot." Both Mine and I were still speaking quietly to avoid drawing attention to ourselves.
"But like... what if I find him on his own."
"We don't even know how he fully looks. We just have intel on him." Mine said, getting slowly more agitated. "Look... this job involves a lot of patience. If you don't learn how to use that, then you're gonna get yourself killed out there! In almost every situation, it's better to wait a while." She explained, finally taking up the reins as a mentor.
"... I guess that makes sense..." I said, partially understanding and partially getting too bored of the argument. "Also, why do you carry around your weapon? Won't a lot of people see you?" I asked.
"Well, there aren't any wanted posters of me up right now. So as long as I'm careful, I won't get in trouble." She suddenly stopped dead in her tracks and blocked me with her arm, stopping me as well.
"Do you see him?" I asked quietly.
"I think so... at least, I see someone who matches our description of him." She was looking towards a small built man who looked more sleek than strong. He had black hair and eyes that were so blue that they almost looked gentle. He had a sheath for something on his back, but I couldn't tell what it was from here. The clothes that he wore appeared to be a military uniform of some sort.
"Well, it's pretty obvious he's from the capital." I said, giving my usual emotionless analyzation.
"Indeed. We need to be careful around him. He feels strong." She said as she looked towards him. "We'll deliver this information to the revolutionary army so they can investigate-" I interrupted Mine, pushing her back as I suddenly felt killing intent. I created a stone wall as I heard the thunk of a sharp object digging into it. I let my blade of creation fade away as I grabbed Mine and carried her bridal position, running off with her.
"H-hey! What's with this position?!?" She shouted.
"It's easiest for me to carry you this way. And we need to run..." I said as I looked behind me. The stone wall I had created was already down and we were being chased by the man and a few guards.
I changed by grip on Mine, slinging her over my shoulder so I had a free hand. "By the blade of destruction, I summon thee at the cost of my spirit..." My weapon appeared in my right hand. I ran it along the ground, collecting the cement from the pavement. "This should hold up a bit better than stone..." I let my weapon fade away and got ready to equip my blade of creation. However, I was interrupted as I heard a gunshot from behind me. I looked up a bit and saw Mine firing off her rifle.
"I hate to say it, but it seems like we've been compromised. Looks like we'll have to fight this one in the daylight."
I began to internally agree with it. But I knew deep down that something was wrong with that. It felt like there was something that I should do instead of fighting. And then, it came to me in one go.
"Honestly..." Mine looked back at me a bit before I continued. "I think we should just run away. Kinda like we did in the last fight we were in." Mine looked a bit surprised. But gave a confident smile.
"Looks like you've at least learned a bit!" She said. She turned back towards the enemy and fired off another shot. "You just concentrate on running then. I'll take care of the rest!" She said as she fired off a few shots.
"Just make sure you don't hit any civilians." I said giving my blunt observations.
"Yeah, yeah. Who the hell do you think I am?" She asked, a confident tone slowly coming over her voice. "I'm the master marksman! It'd do you well to remember that." She said over the sound of gunshots from her rifle.
I nodded with a reaffirming grunt as I kept running. We dodged and weaves around the city. It didn't help that I was carrying extra weight, but I also used the concrete I collected earlier to take us through. It took, what honestly felt like hours, but we eventually shook them off us.
"Jeesus! Forget who the hell I am! Who the hell were they?" Mine said as we both panted.
"They were really strong. I doubt we could take that guy even 2 on 1." I said as I almost fell over from exhaustion.
"I hate to say it, but I think you're right..." She said, admitting her defeat. "Anyways, lets head back to the base and report this."
What we didn't know that day, is how big of a problem this man would be for us in the future...