Chapter 16 - The waking beast

"Ok. Now that you're all bandaged up, I'd like to hear your report." Najenda's voice was the only sound in the full meeting room of Night Raid. "You three came in with several injuries, are now on the wanted posters, and found out about Benjamin's Imperial Arms, allegedly. All this on a shopping trip. So what the hell happened out there?" 

"I'm curious too. You three made quite the commotion when you came inside." Bulat said. "I'm glad you three are ok though." 

"Right..." I said, a bit distracted emotionally. Meanwhile, the other two were more physically distracted. Like me, they had arrow injuries on their bodies. 

"Something wrong, (f/n)?" Tatsumi asked. 

"Yeah, I'm just... a bit shaken up, I guess." I responded, unsure of what I felt when I battled with Benjamin. 

"...I see." Najenda said. "In that case, Mine. Could you give the report?" 

"Uh, right." She said, clearing her throat. "While we were out purchasing items for boss, we encountered Benjamin Morrows, who was accompanied by an injured and incapacitated Seryu. We attempted to battle with them, before (f/n) engaged using his Imperial Arm's trump card. In the end, we  were forced to flee just before the decisive strike because of a group of approaching guards." 

"So did you get information on his Imperial Arms?" Lubbock asked. 

"Yes, we did." Mine responded. "He uses a bow Imperial Arms. From what we gathered, it's main ability is firing off several invisible arrows at once." 

"Not only that," I cut in, "but he can also freely control them. I was able to see that when I used my Imperial Arm's trump card." 

"Ah, right. You can copy other Imperial Arms." Najenda recalled. 

"Yeah. And speaking from personal experience, I have to say that it's a powerful weapon." I reached my hand out in front of me and remembered the feeling of the fake bow in my hands. "I don't think that Benjamin is a particularly skilled fighter. But he's good with his weapon, which makes up for any deficit in fighting skill that he has." 

"I see. We'll document that information then. Anything else you three want to report?" Najenda asked. 

I raised my hand. "I don't have anything to report, but I do have a question. When I was fighting, I felt like I was being held back by something. I felt like I could've done more if just a few things were different." I looked up at those around me. "What emotion is that?" 

The room was silent for a moment. "Ah... right. You have a bit of a problem with emotions, huh?" Leone said. 

"Is that frustration?" Tatsumi asked. 

"Frustration... I forget what that is. Could you remind me?" I asked. 

"It's... like... I dunno, kinda what you described. Like you're being held back from doing what you want." He explained. 

"I see..." I mumbled. "Then it was frustration..." 

"I'm glad that you were able to feel another emotion, (f/n). However, with that in mind, we do have other issues to tackle." Najenda said. 

"Oh, right. Sorry." I said, focusing on the meeting again. 

"It's a bit worrying that Benjamin was traveling with Seryu. It's possible that there's something going on within the capital. This could very well align with... the reappearance of Esdeath." Najenda said. 

"Esdeath? Who's that? I heard Benjamin mention her name." I commented. 

Leone looked over to me. "You don't know? She's known as the empire's strongest soldier. She's destroyed hundreds of strong soldiers on her own."