Chapter 25 - Their soul

"Hey! What's going on!" Mine shouted as we approached the doctor's house. We saw Tatsumi standing on a hill with Incursio's armor equipped; that must've been the explosion and light that we saw. 

And standing across from him was... 

"Benjamin," I said as we approached him. "Damn, what's he doing here?" 

Benjamin turned and caught sight of Mine and me. "So, you're finally here, eh?" 

"How did he know we were here?!? This town is so out of the way that he'd have to be searching for miles to even come across it!" Mine shouted, opening the box with her rifle in it. 

"(F/n). I'm here to talk to you." He said as we approached. 

Mine and I both stopped in our tracks a few feet away. I stared Benjamin in the eyes. "What is it?" I asked. 

"I want to show you something." He reached his hand out and closed his eyes, "At the cost of my soul... I summon thee." 

Then, in his hand appeared a blade; my blade of destruction. 

My eyes widened as I felt surprise in my mind. "At the cost of my soul and spirit, I summon thee in full," I said the full incantation as a heat-of-the-moment decision. And in my hand appeared the Blade of Creation... and nothing in the other hand. "...How did you summon my Imperial Arms?" I asked. 

"...I have a few theories. Did you know that this Imperial Arms is linked to the user themselves? Once someone starts using it, no one else can use it until that person is dead." Benjamin explained. 

"Ok. So how did you summon it?" I asked, holding my Blade of Creation steady in hand. 

Benjamin paused, standing there in silence. He was looking to the floor with a thoughtful expression. "Truth be told, I don't know what my past is." He said. "All I remember is that I woke up in the capital one day, with no memory of the past. I stole my Imperial Arms and started working for the empire." He still had his bow on his back. He looked up at me, "Do you know how the trump card of this weapon works?" 

"...Yeah. You saw it first hand. It can copy other Imperial Arms and recreate their abilities, to a certain degree." I said. 

"And what about the other trump card?" Benjamin asked. "The resurrection... You don't need to hide it from me. The empire already knows everything about this Imperial Arms, as I found out. I just want to know what you think." 

I paused and hesitated for a moment, looking to the ground deep in thought, "...I sacrifice a piece of my soul, and I can allow someone else to come back to life... even myself." 

"Is that all?" He asked. 

"What do you mean?" 

"How irritating..." Benjamin said. "It's not just that. Scientists have been wondering for eons how it works. Right now, the working theory is that the piece of soul that you sacrifice goes to whoever you're reviving to help support, or anchor them to this world. But what happens when you revive yourself?" 

"The piece of soul disappears," I said. 

"No. It has to go somewhere. It doesn't just disappear... Those pieces of your soul that you sacrificed; all of the positive and negative emotions that you tore away from." Benjamin brought up my Blade of Destruction and pointed it at me, "I am those pieces of it. I am the parts of you that you walked away from. You could say that I am you." 

My eyes widened in surprise. I blinked a few times, not sure what to do with the information. I opened my mouth to speak, but hesitated for just a moment, "You are... Me...?" I asked.