Chapter 22

"So, how do these arm things work?" Mine asked, holding one in her hand. 

Ever since raiding that scientist's place, we had been remaining at the wood cabin and analyzing the artificial arms that we retrieved. The arms had a core of black carbon-like material with steel plating over it. 

"I think this is out of our field." Leone said. "We might need to call in a favor from some revolutionary army doctors or something if we want Seryu to use these. Of course, I'm a bit hesitant about giving her a method to arm herself." She said, staring over at the meek girl standing in the corner of the room. 

Seryu jumped in response and looked to the floor, "I-I'm sorry..." 

Leone sighed, "It's fine. You can prove yourself in battle. But... quite frankly, I don't know what you were thinking, (f/n). I told Najenda that you should be punished." 

"I see. I'm sorry about that." I said. "Next time, I'll think with my head, not my heart." 

"Good. That's all we're asking of you." Leone said, standing up off of the couch she was sitting on. "I'll go report back to Najenda about our mission and Seryu. You three can take some time off and relax." 

"Got it. Thanks, Leone." Mine said. Leone gave a wave before exiting out of the door. She activated her Imperial Arms and began to dash back to the base. 

"She's certainly an interesting person..." Seryu said. 

"What, Leone? She's really imposing, but honestly, she seemed less-so than usual. I think she was wary of you." Mine said. 

"Oh- T-that was her when she's... holding herself back, emotionally?" Seryu said, a bit of hesitation in her voice as she recalled Leone suddenly slinging her arm around her. 

"Aren't all members of Night Raid like that?" I said, "Kinda quirky and odd?" 

"Hmm? I guess so. Wait- would that include me?!?" Mine said. 

"Yeah. Of course." I said. 

"Wha-! You-!" Mine started to stutter a bit, avoiding eye contact with me, "Is that really what you think of me...?" 

"Yeah. You're odd. But it kinda makes you cute." I said, unintentionally giving her a hefty compliment. 

Mine blushed a lot and further turned away from me. "I-Is that so...?" I saw Mine standing in front of me blushing and staring at the wall, avoiding eye contact. Then, something happened that I didn't expect. 

My face grew slightly red and flushed. I brought up my hand and placed it on my cheek; it felt warm. "S-Sorry. I think I need to go outside for some fresh air..." I covered my face a bit and walked outside, sitting on the balcony of our cabin. 

Mine watched me leave as the door closed behind me. She turned back to Seryu who was staring at her with wide eyes, her gaze sparkling like a child. 

"What?" Mine said, still seeming a bit embarrassed. 

"Oh! Sorry. I just..." She fidgeted a bit in place, "...You two seem to like each other a lot..." 

Mine tensed up a bit, "Maybe I do, ok? What about it?" 

"It's nothing. I just... I think you guys are cute together...!" She smiled a bit, like a high schooler innocently discussing their crushes together. "I'll be rooting for you two!" 

Mine stared at her for a moment, "You've changed a lot since I first met you." 

"Huh? Have I? What do you mean?" 

"When Sheele and I first fought you, you seemed... unhinged, I guess," Mine said, speaking to her quite frankly. "You screamed about justice while laughing like an evil villain from a children's book. What brought that mindset on you?" 

Seryu tilted her head a bit, "I'm not sure what you mean. I don't really remember acting like that..." 

"Huh? Really?" Mine said, a bit surprised (and concerned). "Hmm... Alright then." She let go of it for now. Mine turned and started to walk towards the door. 

"Where are you off to?" Seryu asked. 

"Outside. I'm gonna get some fresh air with (f/n)." She said. 

"Oh! Good luck!" Seryu said. 

Mine blushed a bit, "Wha-! What do you think I'm going to do? As if I'd make a move on him. If anything, he should be the one to make a move on me!" Seryu giggled a bit as Mine made her way outside. 

"Oh, hey Mine," I said as she shut the door behind her. It was nearly morning now and the sun was starting to come up behind us. 

"Hi." She said simply. I was sitting down on the floor against the wall of the cabin. Mine came by and leaned against the wall next to me. "What do you think our next mission will be?" 

I thought about it for a moment, "I dunno. I'm hoping it's something quick." 

Mine seemed a bit surprised by that, "Really? I sort of expected you to want to do something... I dunno, interesting." 

"Oh... I guess you're right. I haven't really thought about it recently, but I did use to crave something exciting. I wonder what's changed?" I said to myself. 

Mine stared at me for a moment as my gaze was fixed on the horizon beyond the trees, "It seems like everyone around me is changing." 

I turned to her and tilted my head, "What do you mean?" 

"It's kinda... hard to explain. Seryu is less twisted, and suddenly you're more... emotional, I guess. Maybe it's about time that I changed too..." She mumbled, standing up against the wall. 

I looked up at her from my spot sitting on the ground against the wall. Now her gaze was fixed on the horizon and mine on her. After a moment, she turned to me and began to stare me in the eye. 

Normally, something like this would surely cause her to blush. But instead, she held her gaze with me. "Mine? What are you-"

"Shut up for a moment." She said quietly, interrupting me. She sat down against the wall with me, still staring me in the eye. "...Hey, (f/n)." 

"Yes?" 

"I'm going to say something that might sound a little weird, but bear with me, ok?" 

"Sure..." I said, not quite sure where she was going.

"Do you maybe want to... go out somewhere, next time we're free?" 

"Sure." 

"H-Huh? Really?" She asked. 

"Yeah, sure. Why not?" I said. 

Mine turned away with surprise in her face. She took a deep breath and sighed out, shaking her head, "Was it supposed to be this easy?" She mumbled to herself.

"What?" I said, not quite hearing her. 

"It's nothing. I'm looking forward to our... date, whenever it is." She said, turning away and walked back into the cabin. She was hiding a blush as she did, but I couldn't see it before she ducked inside.