Chapter 10

"(F/n) is fighting?!?" Tatsumi shouted. "And it's the guy you two had trouble with last time? This might be bad..." he muttered.
"Yeah! We need to go save him!" She said, almost shouting.
Leone and Sheele came in from the other room. "What's all the commotion about? You look a bit tattered up." Sheele said, noting her slightly torn up clothes and small bruises.
"(F/n)! He's back there! He's fighting a losing battle!" Mine sounded desperate as she tried to explain the situation. More of Night raid started to gather in the room Mine was in.
"If he's back there..." Najenda said as she entered, hearing he just of the situation from Mine's voice. "Then we need to carefully consider our options."
"But if we wait too long, we might be too late." Lubbock said. "(F/n) is strong. But from what I've got of him, he seems to be someone who's a bit brash in his actions. He might just stay back and try to win the fight." Lubbock would have kept going, but he was suddenly interrupted.
"Brash? I've been living awhile. I know what a losing battle is." I said as I entered the night raid base, leaning on the door for support. Blood and cuts covered most of my body as I clumsily stepped in.
"Hey! You're back!" Bulat was the first to come to my aid, holding me up as I walked in. The others slowly gathered around. But one simply stood in place for a moment, staring.
"—Mine..." I muttered as I looked at her. "You told me that if I had to revive myself, you'd be mad. Well? I'm back." I said, not being able to help a bit of a smile. Mine expression shifted to one of slight shock at my words. It might've been my imagination, but I thought I saw a light pink blush on her face. But she quickly turned away from me before crossing her arms.
"W-Well, quite frankly, I'm surprised you made it back." It was clear she was at least somewhat masking her feelings. I guess she's not too different from me in that sense.
"That's some harsh treatment for an injured man." Leone teased. Mine opened an eye to look at me and the group around me before sighing and walking over to me.
"Well... what you did back there was brash, and stupid, and dumb..." she hurled insults at me as she walked with a brisk pace towards me. "It probably wasn't nearly the best option. And I can't believe I went with it in the first place. But..." she paused for a moment as she made her way to me, looking at me while she spoke.
"I suppose...it worked out in the end. So... thanks. I'll even treat your injuries to make up for it." She said shyly as she blushed.
My smile, to my surprise, grew a bit in that situation. A feeling that I seldom felt. One that was like a treat to me, whereas it should have been a normality for the average person.
I felt happiness inside of me, and it felt great.

Sitting in silence, I felt bandages wrap around my outstretched arm lying on the table. I felt light pains every now and then as the wounds were disinfected, but my attention was mostly centered on the lingering feeling of happiness I had in me. It was fading, but was there nonetheless.
I turned my head to what was the source of my happiness when it appeared. A pink haired girl that was treating me after the fight I was in.
"Thanks for this Mine..." I said as I stared at her, back to my deadpan look. On the contrary, she had a rather cute and slightly embarrassed look on her face.
"... You don't have to thank me. It was probably partially my fault you're this beat up anyways. So just treat it like me repaying a debt." She said as she finished up on my bandages.
"Hmm... well, I can try. But I really am thankful..." my breath caught just a bit as I tried to think of the proper words to say. "I guess... you've made me feel... things, for the first time in probably a few decades. Part of my soul is given away every time I revive myself. And I think I've been killed twice now. By about the second time... I stopped feeling anything. For a while, I couldn't even feel pain. So..." I hesitated for a moment, somewhat reluctant for whatever reason to share this deep part of me. "I guess I am really happy that you've made me feel again. So thank you." I turned to Mine with a barely noticeable embarrassed look on my face. On the other hand, Mine's expression shifted to one of huge bashfulness as her face came flushed with crimson. Her expression then changed to one shared by shock as she turned away.
"Geez... stop saying such embarrassing things (f/n)." She said while closing her eyes. "If you want, I wouldn't mind hanging out with you more. It seems to be helping you out a lot. So... that should be fine... right?" She said, opening one eye as she looked to me.
I nodded, looking at her with a generally nonchalant look on my face. "I would appreciate that." Mine gave a sigh in response.
"You know, you're pretty boring when you're so... emotionless like this. You really need to learn to express yourself." She said as she stood up from the chair she was sitting on. I did the same before responding.
"I can't really help it." I sighed out, still maintaining my seemingly bored look. "I've lost large chunks of my soul twice now. At this point, I'm happy I can feel anything at all."
"Well you have me to thank for that, don't you?" Mine said with a confident look on her face. She gave a light giggle as she spoke. But it shifted to a happy looking smile. "If it makes you feel any better, I also have a lot of fun with you."
My mouth widened just a bit in slight surprised, but I spoke in the next moment. "Well... I guess that's pretty good to hear. Most people tend to not enjoy my company." I said as I looked away, a little taken aback. "Anyways, we should probably let Najenda know what happened in specific. That probably means we'll be having another meeting." I said as I began to walk out of the room I was in with Mine by my side.
"We've been having a lot of those recently. Looks like you're causing some trouble." Mine said, half-jokingly.
However, it was true. A lot of things seemed to be happening since I got here. And I have a feeling it might keep going that way for a while...