Chapter 18 - Alignment

A few days back...

"Now that this whole business is settled," The Emporer's voice rang out in the empty royal hall, "Benjamin and Seryu will be working under Esdeath." 

Benjamin was exceptionally roughed up. After he got baited into a fight with Esdeath, she had undoubtedly ruined him and his ego in the battle. 

"But more importantly, Seryu. I got a report from Benjamin regarding your encounter with Night Raid. From what he's told me, Benjamin had them on the ropes, but you got in the way while trying to help." The Emporer said. 

"Umm... Uhh..." Seryu looked to Benjamin, who was shooting a harsh glare at her. She tensed up and turned her head to the floor that she was bowing on. "Yes... Yes, that's true. I umm... attempted to use my Imperial Arms, despite not being physically able, and got in the way..." 

Benjamin and Seryu both knew that wasn't the case. 

The meeting was adjourned a few minutes later. Benjamin and Seryu found themselves walking within the halls of the large capital building. Seryu's gaze was downcast and Benjamin's stare was rough and venomous-looking. 

"Seryu..." Benjamin said. 

"Y-Yes!" Seryu said, jumping a bit. 

"Do you remember why I took you under my wing?" Benjamin asked. 

"I do... You said that you felt sorry for me... You said that I looked weak..." 

"You are weak. But you can become strong. Someday, you'll beat that woman, Esdeath..." He said with spite in his voice. "You'll do it for me, damnit..." 

A few days later, Benjamin and Seryu had found themselves on a mission to kill a civic officer who was challenging the minister. They were told to pin it on Night Raid with some fake posters. 

Riding around in the transport cart, Seryu, Koro, and Benjamin sat around quietly. 

"...Benjamin... Is this food that they're transporting?" She asked. 

"It is. Quit asking questions and focus..." Benjamin muttered. 

Seryu set her gaze to the floor once more. She looked up at the sacks full of rice that they were transporting, most likely to help feed the villagers. The empire was always right, Seryu knew that. But now, they were being ordered to murder someone who was with the empire; who was trying to help the people of the empire! 

"...The man we're going to kill... this food is from him, right...?" Seryu asked. 

"How annoying... Yes! This food is from him. But it won't matter when he dies. Just do your job," Benjamin said in a growl-like voice. 

"U-Understood..." Seryu mumbled. And thus, she was brought into her third battle against Night Raid. 

***

"Let's do this, (f/n)." Akame said with her sword in hand. 

"Shit, Akame is here?!?" Benjamin shouted, turning and launching several arrows at her. Akame shifted and dashed out of the way. "Seryu! Get Koro to fight her!" 

"O-Ok!" She said from the cart. The large dog moved to block Akame. 

"Careful!" Mine shouted from the trees. "That's an organic Imperial Arms!" 

"Got it. I'll just cut until I find its core!" Akame slashed at the dog several times, cutting away its body. 

"Damnit, Seryu! Don't underestimate her. That's the assassin Akame. Go all out!" Benjamin shouted.