Chapter 28 - Escape

The arena had long since been evacuated. The public execution had been turned into a battle now as three members of Night Raid faced off with the Empire's two strongest. 

"(F/n)! What's the status on your blades?" Mine shouted as we dodged through General Budo's attacks. 

"I can't summon them yet. Benjamin must be around here somewhere." I said, fully regaining feeling in my legs and dashing around traces of lightning. "Mine. Make sure to support Seryu too." 

"I know! This whole battle is a huge mess!" She shouted as she fired off bullets at both Esdeath and Budo. 

"Sorry. Thanks for covering us." I said. 

"(F/n)! Use this!" I heard Seryu shout and glanced over to her. She had thrown something at me and I soon recognized it as one of the small machine-guns she had on her. It was very compact and curved around the side of my arm, which made for a very small profile. 

"Thanks," I shouted back at her. I turned and started firing at Budo. He was finally on the defensive, now that he wasn't just fighting Mine. 

"That little gun of yours won't do anything against me!" Budo shouted, reaching his hand out and charging a bolt of lightning. "Take this!" 

He launched off his attack and caused a soft cloud of lightning to appear above me. I looked up as they formed into thunderclouds. Just then, lightning began to rain down all around us on the arena. 

"Mine. Dodge it." I said as I began to move around while avoiding the lightning. I had to look up at the sky to tell where it was coming from, but I got a few glances at General Budo's position. I ducked down and stayed low before starting a mad dash towards him. 

"All we've seen from him is ranged attacks. Let's see how he deals with close-combat." I mumbled as I approached. I got ready to strike him with the hard part of the gun Seryu gave me. But instead... 

I received a swift punch to the gut that sent me flying back. Lucky me, his attack of lightning had stopped, otherwise I'd have been electrocuted right there. 

"(F/n)!" Mine shouted. 

I wanted to respond that I was alright, but I got winded and had to recover my breath. I coughed and took some stuttered deep breaths in. 

"Tch..." Mine clicked her tongue and fired a few shots at Budo. Yet again, he skillfully moved out of the way of them all. 

I stood back up on my feet, now recovered from being winded. I looked around the arena for anything that could give us an advantage. No people, no other weapons, just us. 

That, and... I felt as if another gaze was on me. I felt another precense in the arena, somewhere behind us... 

"Mine. Cover me." I said, before turning and dashing for the arena entrance behind us. Esdeath and Budo seemed mildly concerned with me moving towards it. Mine picked up on it and pointed her rifle, firing shots at both of them. Seryu also moved to cover me, making sure that Esdeath didn't pursue me. It's impressive that she and Koro can handle the ice queen herself. Then again, Mine has been covering both of us this whole time. 

"Which is why I need to make this quick." I mumble to myself as I approached the back entrance. I turned the corner of the entrance and saw a man, one with my blades in-hand. 

"I knew you were here, Benjamin." I said, rearing my arm back and slugging him in the face. He got flung back through the interior of the arena. At the same time, his concentration wavered, and the blades that he held in his hand faded away. "At the cost of my Soul and Spirit, I summon thee in full." I reached my hands out and let out a small sigh of relief when I felt my blades weigh them down. 

"I'll be taking care of you later, Benjamin." I said, somewhat wanting to taunt him as I ran off back to the battle. He was still recoiling somewhat from when I punched him. 

I rushed back into the fight at the sight of Mine and Seryu struggling with the two battle giants. 

"I'm here." I shouted. Using my blade of creation, I threw out a few chunks of stone and concrete at Budo. He dodged them, but it was more of a diversion as opposed to an actual attack, as I came rushing in soon after. 

I slashed my blades at the general. He ducked under it and reared back for a punch. I flipped out of the way and dragged by swords through the ground, gathering up some of the dirt and sand. 

I flipped my Blade of Destruction into a reverse grip and moved to try and stab Budo. He dodged back, but I pushed forward and went after him. 

"Impudent weakling!" He shouted, charging up his Imperial Arms. He pounded the ground below him and lightning started to flow from it, creating a field of electrocution on the floor. I jumped up and back to try and get out of the way, which prompted Budo to move towards me to try and get a lightning-charged punch in. 

At the last moment, I twisted my body out of the way. I got some residual shock the froze me up for a bit, so I couldn't counterattack. I landed on the ground on all fours. I swung my foot around and tried to sweep him. My leg made contact, but his legs didn't go anywhere. 

"You think a weak kick like that will stop me?" He brought up his fist and swung it down at my face. I felt it make contact with me, before he lifted me up off of the ground. He threw me towards the ground and sent me sliding along. 

"(F/n)!" Mine shouted, before aiming her rifle up at General Budo. 

"Mine, this is bad. We need to run." I said. 

"I know that. But it's not exactly something we can reasonably do!" She shouted. 

I turned and glanced back. I felt a pit in my stomach as I saw Benjamin emerging from the back. He looked angry as he grabbed his bow and arrow Imperial Arms off of his back. The situation was getting worse and worse 

"Perfect, this should be just enough of a pinch!" Mine shouted suddenly. She pointed her gun at the ground and fired. And seemingly because of how bad the situation was, it was a large beam rather than a bullet. She swept the ground with it and caused a bunch of dust to come up, masking everyone's view of the arena. "Now! Run!" Mine shouted. 

I took that as my cue and started dashing off. I turned and made sure Mine and Seryu were following. 

I saw Esdeath, Budo, and Benjamin all following us, which was quite a fearsome sight. 

"Mine, we're gonna do this." I said, before slowing down and coming next to her. I picked her up and gently placed her over my shoulder. I started to run away once more. "Keep shooting." I told her. 

"Wha-!" I could almost see her blushing face in my head. "F-Fine!" She brought up her rifle and started shooting at the three formidable foes. It didn't do much to hurt them, but it certainly slowed them down. We began to make space between us as we exited the arena. 

We dashed along the seats to the top and then... 

We flew off the edge. I felt the ground under me disappear as I ran off the arena. Seryu did the same, not being able to stop her momentum. 

"Wha-! AHHHH!" Seryu screamed as we fell down several stories. 

I needed to do something. I held both of my blades in hand and got ready to try and save us from meeting an untimely demise. But instead, I saw a certain something approaching us from slightly below. It was an Air Manta danger beast, with Najenda standing on top!

It swung around by the arena and caught us, before swinging back and flying away with us on top. 

"Najenda?!?" Mine shouted. Now that we were here, I saw that most of Night Raid was here. Tatsumi, Akame, Sheele. Lubbock and Bulat seemed to be the only ones not present. 

"We came to help. But we're not out of the woods yet. We'll need to keep fighting." Najenda said as we left the range of the arena.