Chapter 26

When I opened my eyes, all I saw around me was a dark room. I seemed to be shirtless at the time for a reason I didn't know of, but I had several new scratches and cuts all over my body. My arms were chained up above my head. I felt dazed as I peered around the room. 

I turned and saw the blue-haired woman, Esdeath, standing beyond some bars. It seems like I was in a cell. She quickly saw me waking up and took note of me. 

"So, you're finally awake, (f/n) of Night Raid." She said, "Don't bother trying to summon your weapon. I've instructed Benjamin to keep both of them in his hands as often as he can so that you can't summon them." 

"I see. What do you intend to do with me?" I asked. 

"...You're remarkably calm for the situation you're in. I guess the claims that you're emotionless were true." She said. "I intend to torture you for information, then kill you." 

"If I'm going to die anyway, why would I give you any information?" I asked. 

"A good question. The answer is that you'll be in immense pain, and giving me information will be your only escape." A smile started to creep up onto her face as she opened the cell. She walked in and placed her hand on the rapier on her hip. She drew it out and wasted no time before placing a large cut along my body. 

And... I felt nothing. My body flinched, but I felt no pain. I continued to stare at Esdeath above my line of sight. 

Esdeath looked quite surprised with my lack of emotion, but smiled a moment later. "You're quite tough! I'm looking forward to really going all out with my torture." She cut my body once more and I still felt no pain. 

'Come to think of it, when was the last time I got injured...?' I thought to myself. ' I remember taking a few shots in one or two of our run-ins with Benjamin. But did it really hurt all that much...' 

After a few more injuries, Esdeath pulled her sword back a bit, a surprised expression on her face. 

"You- Can you even feel what I'm doing to you?" She asked, a bit in disbelief. 

"Not really." I said bluntly. "It really doesn't seem like you'll get any information out of me." 

Esdeath crossed her arms and put down her rapier for a moment. "Well then... I suppose I just ought to-" 

She brought up her rapier and, in one lightning fast movement, stabbed me in my eye. The rapier sunk into my face as I suddenly lost vision in my left eye. She had a slight grin on her face as blood sputtered out from mine. 

"That's... inconvenient." I said as I had lost sight in one eye, just like that. 

"Hmph, so you really can't feel pain. I wanted to test you and make sure you aren't faking it, but it seems I really can't do much to you." Esdeath chuckled to herself before swiping the blood off of her rapier and sheathing it. "In that case, we'll have you publicly executed. It's a tad unsatisfying to not torture you some more, but there's only so much I can do to a man who can't feel pain." 

"A public execution? Are you trying to bait out the rest of Night Raid?" I asked, my eye still spurting blood. 

"Of course. I will have them all captured. Although, there's no way I'd be allowed to do that on my own. So General Budo will be there too." Esdeath said, walking out of the cell and locking the door behind her. 

"General Budo? Who is that?" I asked. 

Esdeath chuckled a bit, "You really don't know anything! He's the strongest in the empire. Besides me, of course." 

***

Night Raid was quiet since Mine and Tatsumi came back. They had long since explained the situation and all understood how unfortunate it was. All of Night Raid was waiting quietly in the meeting room. 

Bulat, Leone, Lubbock, Sheele, Akame, Najenda, Tatsumi, and Mine. They were all there... except for me. 

"...So. What do we do?" Tatsumi said, breaking the silence. 

"It's hard to say right now." Najenda said. "We need to rescue (f/n). But that's easier said than done." 

"What about Seryu? Can she help us out to rescue him?" Mine asked. 

"I think we may end up needing to call on her for this. She's already at the Revolutionary Army base, we just need to make the call and they can send her here." Najenda said. 

"Can we trust her though?" Bulat pointed out, "If we do end up saving him, it'll be from within the heart of the capital. If she were to betray us, that would be the best point to do so." 

"You certainly have a point." Najenda said. "But the question is whether the potential benefit would be more than the potential risk. I'd like to hear your opinions." 

"Personally, I don't like her." Leone said. "But when I met her, she seemed meek and small; far too docile to try and betray us, in my opinion."

"I felt the same way about her. She was sort of... too friendly? I guess..." Tatsumi said. "I don't think she would betray us either." 

"What do you think, Mine? You're the only other one who's interacted with her for an extended portion of time." Najenda said. 

Mine paused for a moment and thought about it, "I think... she's fine. I had a few genuine talks with her, and she seems like someone who would be willing to work with us." 

"Then it's settled we will work with Seryu to rescue (f/n)." Najenda stood up and waved her arms dramatically. "Let's go over our plans." 

"Will I be participating?" Bulat asked. 

"Do you think you can?" Najenda said. 

"...Probably not. My swinging arm still feels weak. I think I'll probably hold the group back more than help. So, because of that..." Bulat turned to Tatsumi with a serious look on his face, "I'll be counting on you as the new owner of Incursio." 

Tatsumi's body tensed up just a bit, but he nodded, "Right. I won't let you down." Tatsumi said. 

"This will be a good time to ask: who are we bringing on this mission?" Lubbock asked. "We'll no doubt be fighting the two strongest in the empire." 

"Right... Both Esdeath and General Budo. It'll no doubt be a tough combination. Not to mention, we don't know what they're doing to (f/n), so we can't rely on him to be a battle asset." Najenda said. She sighed, "This is a tough situation. But we will rescue (f/n). Our first step is to find out when he's being executed, so we'll first send out groups to investigate around the capital."