Chapter 30 - Familiar

"(F/n)... Did you just...?" Najenda's voice was soft and her eyes were wide with surprise. The battlefield froze. 

In my arms, Mine's body was fading away; she was turning into glowing blue particles and becoming lighter in my arms. This was my first time watching the process of my trump card being used on someone other than me. It was like she was becoming nothing more than air. 

"Hey... What the hell did you just do...?" I heard Benjamin ask. 

I turned up, my mind now clear and devoid of the emotions that were cluttering it before. "I revived her," I said. 

"You- What-" Benjamin was in shock. I was too, but it didn't show on my face. I was still mentally processing the situation. 

"I don't know how this works... but if my hunch is correct, then..." I bent down, Mine's body having disappeared wherever it was off to. I grabbed her Pumpkin in my hand and aimed it at the now injured Budo who was getting jumped by the members of Night Raid. 

I pulled the trigger and, with no strain at all, fired Mine's Imperial Arms. The bullet made its mark in Budo's head. The power of the rifle shocked me and seemed to surprise Budo too as his body fell to the ground. He died instantly. 

"Is that... it...? The general is dead...?" Tatsumi mumbled. 

I stood up straight with Mine's rifle. I turned towards Benjamin, "You're next." 

He realized what I was about to do and dodged out of the way as I fired a bullet in his direction. I took aim with the rifle and continued to fire at him. A few of my shots made contact, but I clearly wasn't as good a shot as Mine was, as none of the shots were good enough to slow him down. It certainly didn't help that I could no longer see out of my left eye. 

Benjamin drew out an arrow and prepared to fire it at me. I stepped aside and it flew harmlessly past me. However, I knew that there were more invisible arrows coming by. I took a mental note of where his first arrow fired and recalled what it felt like to fire his bow. 

I rolled aside and was satisfied to feel the wind of those arrows go by me. I brought up my gun and fired at him again. 

"Hey! (F/n)! We need to go!" Najenda shouted at me. "Hurry up an finish him off, or we're leaving!" 

I glanced back and saw that Akame, Leone, and Seryu were all having a lot of trouble with Esdeath. Their bodies were frozen in spots and they had all suffered several injuries. 

"Damnit, how am I still being outmatched?!?" Benjamin shouted. 

I turned back to my other half and continued firing at him. "Najenda. If we have to go, then I have a plan. You guys go on ahead, and I'll keep these two occupied!" I shouted loudly, loud enough that everyone could hear it. 

"What?!? We just came here to save you! You're just gonna get captured again!" Najenda said. 

"I have a plan for that. I won't get captured." I said, firing more shots towards Benjamin, now turning and firing one at Esdeath. 

"....Fine. If you say so. You'd better not get captured, because we're probably not gonna be able to save you a second time!" Najenda said, turning and starting to run. "Everyone, retreat!" 

I watched and saw my teammates retreating back to the base. But I stopped Seryu right before she left, 

"Give me your cloak. I need to hide my face." I said, while firing off several more shots of Mine's Pumpkin. I could feel it start to heat up a bit. 

She nodded and handed me her brown cloak. I quickly slipped it on and pulled it far over my face. 

***