Chapter 24 - Life

"It was nice of Tatsumi to take care of guarding the building," I said as we walked along the town together with our hoods on. 

"Yeah. How kind of him..." Mine said, sounding disingenuous. "...Anyways, now that we have a bit of free time, why don't we... have that date?" 

"Sure. Sounds good. What did you want to do?" I ask. 

Mine brought her finger to her chin and thought about it a bit, "I dunno. Why don't we just take a stroll around town? I'm sure we can find something to do together." She said. 

"Sure. I think... I think I've actually been here before." I said as I peered around. 

"You think?" Mine asked. 

"Yeah. Sometime in the past. Before I joined Night Raid, I was a wanderer." I said, turning to Mine a bit. 

"Oh... Yeah. Sometimes I forget how long you've been alive. You said... what, 150 years or so?" 

"Yep. Somewhere around that. Although, quite frankly, I'm running out of years, relatively. In order to refresh my life, I have to sacrifice a piece of my soul. But in my current emotional state, I'm sort of worried that I don't have anymore soul to sacrifice. I think that, at best, I could extend my life once more." 

"I see..." Mine was silent for a moment as we walked around. "Sorry. I don't really know what to say back. I can't relate to your problems, I guess..." 

"No- No, it's fine. I'm just muttering to myself. There are a lot of things I'm curious about, and I've never really gotten a chance to vent. Like... I wonder about how my Imperial Arms was made, how it even works, and... I sometimes wonder where the pieces of my soul that I sacrifice end up." I let my gaze rise up to the sky as I pondered these questions aloud. I turned back to Mine, "Sorry. I ruined the tone of our date, didn't I?" 

Mine sighed a bit, a small smile appearing on her face for just a moment, "It's fine. I'm sure it felt good to get that off of your chest. Why don't we enjoy ourselves while Tatsumi is hard at work?" 

"Oh, yeah. Right, I think I might remember a place. Follow me." I said. 

I started to walk off through the town. Mine quickly trotted behind me. I made my way through the somewhat busy city with her. I turned every now and then to make sure she was following. Along the way, I caught sight of some familiar looking buildings. There was a large building that seemed to be a library. Next to it, there was a smaller one that used to be a restaurant but has since downscaled to a small cafe with coffee, tea, and desserts. 

There, across the street, was another restaurant that ended up replacing the one that closed with the cafe. The food it serves is alright; you can certainly find better in other restaurants. But in the town, it's the best. 

I paused, stopping my fast walking pace for a moment. "Why... Why do I know all of this...?" I mumbled to myself. 

Mine bumped into me as I suddenly stopped and started looking around at all of the buildings. "Huh? (F/n)? What's wrong?" She said. 

"Oh, it's... It's nothing. Sorry, let's keep going." I said, starting to walk again. I didn't turn back the whole way there, lost deep in thought. 

Soon, we came to the outskirts of town. I turned the corner of one of the last buildings in the town and came across the location I had in my mind. It was... 

A barren spot. An outlook of dirt and barren land. I felt disappointment coming over me and expressed it as such, "That's... disappointing..." 

Mine looked a bit confused, "(F/n)? Are you Ok? You seem kinda... off right now." 

"Y-Yeah. I'm ok. I just... remember this spot being a lot more... nice-looking? I dunno. I feel like this spot used to be full of fauna. There wasn't a single spot of dirt in it. It was all grass and flowers. But now... there's nothing." I said as I looked out at the empty area of land. 

Mine looked out at the land with me, trying to imagine what it might have looked like long ago. She couldn't picture it in her head. 

"...Mine. I think I've been to this town before." I said, turning and looking back at the small village-like city. "It's all so... familiar to me. And yet, I feel so... distant when I look at it." 

Mine looked up at me for a moment and wore a worried expression, "Are you ok? (F/n)? You look kinda sad." 

"Maybe... Maybe I am feeling a bit sad. I don't quite understand what I'm feeling right now." I said. 

Mine frowned a bit and sighed. She turned away and stood at my side. Then, she moved close to me and leaned her head into my shoulder. 

I turned and looked to her, not moving too much as to keep her head steadily on my shoulder, "Mine?" 

Without looking up at me, she said, "What? You have a cute girl leaning on your shoulder. Isn't it obvious? I'm trying to cheer you up." 

"Oh... I see." I said, turning away and letting her lean into me. A peaceful-feeling silence befell us for a moment. "Thanks, Mine." 

"Sure..." She said quietly. With her on my shoulder, I felt a pleasant feeling, even despite the disappointment I felt regarding the scenery. I reached over and gratefully pet the top of her head a bit. She tensed up a moment but relaxed. 

"I think..." I muttered, "I think this might be h-" 

A great light suddenly appeared from the opposite end of the village. It was bright red and quite dramatic. "That's-! That's Bulat's Imperial Arms!" 

"What, Incursio?" I said, both of us sitting up straight. 

"Yeah. Not Bulat's, I guess Tatsumi's now." She grasped her rifle on her shoulder, "Let's go. That's near the doctor and Seryu." 

"Right. Let's hope they're safe." I nodded, and Mine and I started to rush towards the end of town.