Chapter 27 - Emergency

The town close to the capital was busy and bustling as usual. The sun was high up in the sky and the shopping bazaar was full of people. No one was aware that there was a member of Night Raid whose life was on the line. 

"I don't see any posters about (f/n) around here. What about you, Mine?" 

"Nothing. I'm searching around, Akame. Where is Seryu right now?" Mine said.

"I'm pretty sure she's along the building rooftops, scouting things out from there," Akame said. 

"Got it. I'll keep that in mind." Mine said. 

A few minutes later, a certain brown-haired girl hopped down from the rooftop of a building with a small dog by her side. "There's a crowd gathering in the center of town. Wanna go check it out?" Seryu asked, pulling a hood up over her face. 

"Yeah. We might be able to find out what they're planning on doing with (f/n)." Mine said. The trio began to make their way over to the commotion. 

They came over and, while blending in with the crowd, went to see what was going on. The people were all gathering over some sort of stage. It was small, but there was only one man on it. He was dressed in an expensive-looking uniform and was holding some sort of paper in his hand. He seemed to be making an announcement of some sort. 

"This afternoon, we will be holding a public execution! General Esdeath captured a member of the Revolutionary army's Night Raid. It will be held in half-an-hour in the arena!" 

"Wha- Half an hour!?!" Mine whispered under her breath, "He's being executed?!?" 

"What the hell... this has never happened before with the Empire's public executions..." Seryu muttered. "What do we do? This is bad..." 

"The base is at least a day away on foot. There's no way we're gonna get back to it before this happens." Mine said, "This is clearly a trap, but we can't really ignore it..." 

"I get it, but I don't know what we can do... We definitely need backup, but we'd need to send one of us back to the base." Akame said. 

The group was silent for a moment as they thought about the situation. If they send for backup, the best case scenario is that they come at the last moment and might possibly bail them out, leaving the other two to fight on their own. However, if they don't send for backup, the group of three would be forced to battle without any help. 

"Damnit... Whatever! We don't have time for this. I'm going in. You can decide whether or not to call for backup without me." Mine said, turning and starting to run towards the arena of the town. 

"Hey! Mine!" Akame started after her as she trotted away. She grabbed her by the sleeve of her dress, "What's going on with you, Mine? You're not usually this reckless." 

She turned to Akame, a frustrated look on her face behind the cloak she wore, "I want to save (f/n). I don't want him to die!" 

This was the first time Akame had seen Mine act that. Akame felt as though she somewhat understood what was making her do so, "...Right. I'm surprised you two aren't together yet." She said, somewhat wanting to tease her. 

Mine's face turned flush instantly. "Wha- What do you mean?!?" 

"Sorry. I'm just joking." Akame said with a smile, "Here's what we'll do. I have no doubt that there's probably an Imperial Army spy somewhere around this town, since it's so close to the capital. I'll locate them, and ask them to send a message for reinforcements. In the mean time, you two sneak into the arena and start rescuing (f/n)." Akame turned to Mine and Seryu as she spoke. "You two, get in there and save him."