19

MY FRIENDS LEAVE FOR Fatu Hiva, and I decide to stay. I draw my fingers along my neck. For a moment I have the sensation of still feeling the hot water of the shower on me.

I never took a shower at Mijan's house though...

The chills return. I decide to forget about him. My last day in Tahiti is approaching. Soon I will be away from Sam Mijan. I couldn't possibly allow that man to take away my vacation. You will not waste this beautiful day and cause me unnecessary trouble!

I jump out of bed and open the window to allow the fresh morning air to pass. I put on a snug pair of jean shorts with a simple t-shirt. Off-shoulder tops are fun, and sensual, and they give off a laid-back, comfortable vibe.

I stop to buy coffee. As I wait for my drink to be made, I decide to glance through the window. I feel a weird shock running through my body, almost instantly! Parked across the street was the same car Mijan had picked me up in the night before. It could be a mere coincidence... Anyone could have that car here in this island. No! It's him! Definitely him! He is here to check on me.

I am terrified of finding him in front of me. I should have taken a ride in the inner city; the beach is on the other side to where he is parking. The fact that that car is there could suggest that he might be nearby.

I find a small street that I never used before. Sand, and grassy weeds growing on the sidewalk. This street is deserted. I almost forget that I am running away. I stop near the window of a souvenir shop. There are some typical sweets that I absolutely want to try. By pure chance, Lexy opens the door while trying to open the package of doughnuts she just bought.

"Hi."

Lexy stops walking. I can tell she is just as confused as I am.

"You are...Lexy right?"

She raises her left hand to her forehead, shielding her eyes from the sunlight.

"Hey! Yes! Scarlett. I'm happy to see you again! How are you?"

"I'm here."

"I didn't see you in the boat party last night!"

"Oh right! Strangely, I didn't see you in that private party that you invited us to go to either! Where were you?"

"I got tied up with some stuff."

"What kind of stuff?"

She shrugs.

"They are my business."

She turns to walk away. But I grab her arm, and she glances down at my hand. I release my grip.

"What is your connection to Mijan?"

Her phone vibrates, and she checks the screen.

"Listen, hum. Scarlett. I really got to take this call."

She turns around, while raising the phone to her left ear.

"Hi. Yes. I'm sorry but that is the only available time. ... When do they arrive? ... I can pick them up. ... yes. I will keep you abreast of progress. ..."

I wonder what her conversation is about. It seems a bit strange to me, but maybe it is just my impression. I wait for Lexy to move away a little and walk down the street opposite of her. I get an ice cream and sit by a large pond of splashing water.

I glance at the screen of my iPhone resting on my legs, and I read a message that I had not noticed at all. I was almost chocking. I nearly dropped the ice cream cone on the ground.