69

I PUT MY IPHONE away, sit back while the plane taxis to the runway, and pull out my tattered copy of "The Bitter Truth" – Some light reading for the journey back home. Once we're air – borne, Vittoria turns to me.

The flight attendant passes by giving out beverages. She takes a diet Coke, and I went with regular.

"So, Scarlett, what does a girl have to do to have some fun around here?" Vittoria asks playfully, a hidden innuendo in her words that causes me to raise an eyebrow.

"What kind of fun are you looking for?" I eye her intently, watching her lips seductively wrapping around the rim of her drink as she takes another sip.

"One that involves you screaming some guy's name...What was his name?"

I know where she is going with this!

I stare out the window. I catch a glimpse of the green trees, and the white sand, and the beach, and waves breaking in the cliff, creating a mist of water.

Sam Mijan.

"Take a look at this!"

Vittoria taps my arm and points towards a small screen mounted on the headrest of the seat in front of us. I read the bold white headlines from CNN.

U.S. to meet with senior Taliban representative on Saturday for the first time ever since the capture of the #1 terrorist, Sam Mijan.

I lower my eyes and read a sentence that keeps scrolling below the headline.

U.S. president authorizes release of some CIA documents related to Sam Mijan. Captured in Tahiti Island.

I tip my seat back, while listening to the reporter.

"...Disgraced fashion ambassador Sam Mijan faces sex – crimes charges. The event is both a media blitz and cultural reckoning, a catalyst for conversation about the way powerful men weaponize sex and leaves their victims with lasting trauma."

"This is a very real and very symbolic moment for the #MeToo Era."

Vittoria is looking at the screen. I am listening to her, but I'm finding myself drifting off to sleep.