72

IT IS JUST BEFORE eight when my mother's Fiat 500X SUV turns into the driveway of our colonial-style middle class house. I am sitting in the front passenger seat, and I glance out the side window.

"The grass looks perfect Giovanni."

The yard is breathtaking, even down to the roses around the door.

"I knew you were coming home!" He follows my gaze from the back seat.

I check my seldom – worn mascara in the light up vanity mirror on my sunshield as my mother pulls up in the driveway. I brush my hair back over my shoulders, blushing at the memories they bring back.

My mom parks by the closed garage door, and we clamber out of the SUV.

"Hi!" I feel unbearably shy when I open the door.

My dad is standing on the porch in his jeans and leather jacket.

"Hi!" He says, and his face lights up with his radiant smile.

A lump forms in my throat. I must not let him see me like this. Fixing a smile on my face, I head up the path, knowing I have to face him.

I'm dreading to face my dad.

I turn and gaze at him midway. Chin up Scarlett, I chide myself. He holds his arms wide open and hugs me with a smile on his face.

"No matter where you go honey, you will always end up at home. And we're always going to be here for you."