Like The Old Times -39

Harry and I have set a date. April 24. That was the day Harry asked me to marry him. I had told the whole world and it's huge news. I only wish that my mom could be here to enjoy it with me. Rob agreed to walk me down the runway on my wedding day. I'm completely happy. There's only one concern, if I have Alzheimers. I haven't brought it up since my melt down, but every time I forget where my phone is, or what day it is, I can see Harry start to worry. Neither of us want to talk about it. I don't even want to think about it. I don't want to have it, but I'm getting closer to that age.

Harry's got business in London, and he's worried to leave me. We haven't told anyone what has been going on. He doesn't want me alone. He want's me to be tested. But that's a lot of testing. I don't want all that. I know the signs and I know that the odds aren't on my side, and I know that I do have a few symptoms. That's why I wasn't fighting Harry when he said that he wanted to stay. I'm terrified. I don't want to be alone. I want to hold on to Harry and see if I can just ride this out, but I know I can't outrun this.

"I would say stay, but you can't put this off. Your fans would be so mad." I just stood there. Please stay, Harry.

"I can. No one would be mad," He just looked at me. Slowly moving to me. Silence filled the room.

I broke the silence by saying, "I'm scared. What if I do have Alzheimers? What if this book I'm writing is going to be the only thing that I can remember you by?"

"I'll always be here. I'm here for you. And I'm staying," Harry dropped his jacket and held me in his arms. I started to cry softly in his arms. They were warm and cozy. I want every moment with him. What if I don't make it to our wedding?

Harry and I sat down on the sofa and watched Friends. We wanted to laugh, and not cry. We wanted to be as happy as we could. I pulled out my laptop and started to write the book. I titled it Rumors. Harry agreed that it was a good title. After a while I put it down and we ordered pizza.

"Pizza!" Harry called as he closed the door with a pizza in his hand. "Niall would die for some of this," Harry laughed.

"I really hope we can have a night out again. That was really fun last time," I smiled thinking back. It was a simpler time. "We should do that now! You said they were all in New York tonight. We should invite them over."

"Brilliant idea!" Harry agreed. "After pizza," Harry dug into the pizza. After a moment Harry asked a question that never crossed my mind, "What are you going to say to the guys if you do have Alzheimer's?"

I sat silent. How would I tell them? How would I tell anyone? After some thought I said, "I just have to be completely honest I suppose."

"So are you going to be tested?" Harry asked and I wanted to cry. The little family my mom did have when she was 'ill' was only me. and it broke us. All I have is Harry. I don't want to break him. It is treatable, though it's not cheep nor cured often, it is treatable. I want to be the best for Harry.

"Yes," I replied with a slight ease. I felt like a weight had been lifted off me. I don't have to go through this alone, even if I don't have it. Harry put his hand on my leg and just looked into my eyes. I felt a strange feeling at that moment. It felt like I was listening to the waves. I could hear our heartbeats like the waves crashing, I could see the sunset in his eyes, I could hear the seagulls flying around in his head, and I could feel the calm that it brought to me.

I forgot completely that I suggested that the guys join us until Harry got up to call them. I knew the night was going to be fun. Just like the old times.

The guys arrived with beer and a skateboard. I could only imagine this could end badly.

"Why the sudden interest in beer Horan?" I smiled thinking of is Irish roots.

"Har har! Anyway, me and the lads thought it would be good to go to this skate park."

"I didn't know you could skate," I said to Louis who had the board in his hand.

"I bloody can't, but I imagine that's what's the beer for," he pointed to Liam who had been holding the six pack. he just smiled back at me. his smile had changed since this first time I met him. his smile was so insistent. I guess he has grown up. I just never saw that till now.

"Well. I say we ditch skating and go for bikes. I have five bikes at my old place calling out your names," I smiled at them with child like eyes.

"Are we ten?" Louis asked with a stupid smirk like he just told the best joke in history.

"C'mon. You guys had to grow up too fast. Lets be kids again. Just for tonight," I pitched my idea and pleaded for them to say yes. We all needed this. They all agreed and we went off in our adventure.

We got to the garage and Liam asked what to do with the beers. Harry suggested that we all sit around and drink them. it was a great idea. It gave me a chance to get to know them better. I understand why Harry would want to spend so much time with them. they're quite funny.

We got our own bike. they were as good as new and we just rode around at night. Not a care in the world. Louis got out a color bomb and lit it up, leaving a trail of blue in his dust. We stopped at a park. No one was on the swings, so I dropped my bike and ran to one. apparently it turned into a race and Harry and I got the only two sings. I spat out my tongue at them and the left to start playing around. I really enjoyed this.

Harry swung slowly next to me and said, "Thank you for making us do this. I feel like we never get to have any real fun. You're completely right, we did have to grow up fast. So did you. But this group needs you to keep us grounded. I haven't seen Louis this happy in ages. I'm going to miss you so much on tour. I think the guys are too. They're really starting to like you."

"I wish we didn't have to leave each other so much," I held my hand to the side for Harry to grab. He gladly took it.

"I'm trying to talk Simon into letting you open for us on tour. It'd be so cool to do shows together," Harry smiled at the thought. So did I. I really do hope that happens.

"I love you," I said out of the blue. I just felt the need to say it.

"I love you too," Harry pulled my swing closer to his and gave me a kiss. I couldn't imagine a better night.