── chapter forty-two

IT WAS FINALLY time for the girls championship game. They all sat in the room, listening to what Cam had to say before the game.

"Okay, this is the game you all have been waiting for. I know it's nerve wracking but ya'll got this. I've watched this teams highlights and I'm not going to lie to ya'll, they are a tough team. Ya'll just need to get fucking back and do what we practiced."

The girls purge masks were on top of their head to show some respect. When Cam was done talking, he told them all to stand up.

Cam motions over to the security guard, telling him that they were ready to come out. The girls put on their purge masks, the lights outside turning off.

"I'm going to have a flashlight, ya'll just follow me, I know it will be dark but you'll able to see with the light on your guys masks."

They walked out, their masks glowing red in the dark. While they were following Cam in a single file line, the purge announcement music started playing through the speakers.

Vienna wasn't going to lie, if she were to hear this in a gym, she would think it was real.

This is not a test. This is your emergency broadcast system announcing the commencement of the Annual Purge sanctioned by the U.S. Government.

Played through the speakers, the crowd starts yelling when the girls came out on the court. They all looked creepy considering they were wearing the purge masks, the lights were off and they were walking straight in a single file line.

The music started playing from the purge, the lights coming back on. The girls look around, the crowd screaming.

They warmed up, Vienna shot her three's while Nelson rebounded for her. She did dribble pull up's but then took a moment to look at the other team.

Nelson walks over, putting a hand on her shoulder. "You got this, Vee. Don't you worry."

"Okay girls, come on in!" They did their team huddle, their arms wrapped around each other. "This is it girls. The game is starting in two minutes. Let's try to win this shit. Starting five, Vienna, Breya, Jasmine, Tori and Enid."

They did the cheer they worked on for this game, they started off quiet, mumbling. "Go rodwave go, go rodwave go."

It was quiet at first but they began getting louder, stomping their feet as well. "Go rodwave go!" On the fifth 'go rodwave go' they put their hands up.

"Win on three! One, two, three, WIN!"

The starting five went out, Breya doing the tip and the ref blew his whistle. She won the tip, Vienna passes the ball to Tori.

They got into their 5 man positions, Breya at the post, the other four at the three point lines. Tori raised her right hand and dribbled to the right, doing a dribble hand off to Enid.

Enid passes the ball to Breya who got double teamed so she passes it to Tori up front, she shoots a three and it went in.

She held up a three with her fingers, Vienna high fiving her. "Good start!" Cam yelled, the point guard on the other team brought the ball up.

Vienna guards her but her three went in. Of course, Vienna had to answer back and so Breya passes her the ball.

She shoots a three, the bench standing up. "Boom!" The girls were leading by 2 so far, they were having a strong start.

Until fouls were starting to get called on Breya. Cam sighed, subbing in Jashlynn for Breya. "It's okay B, those weren't good calls."

Now, the other team started leading by 5. No one's shot were going in, Vienna sighed when another one of her three's didn't go in.