forty-one.

y/n would watch from the sidelines as jin zixuan confronted jiang yanli. there were no disciples around, no fierce corpses, no anything, no anyone. all except for lan y/n, who was eavesdropping. he did this, he wanted to make things right, set the world on a better path. and that would begin by having jin zixuan confront his true feelings by facing jiang yanli. y/n watched them with an unreadable expression on his face, but deep inside, he was truly happy that jin zixuan was doing this.

he heard a rustle behind him, but he ignores it. he knew what caused it, and it was now sitting beside him. quietly.

"a-xian." y/n says simply, acknowledging his friend's presence.

"that peacock again?" wei wuxian hissed, glaring at jin zixuan from afar. "he better not be talking shit to my shijie."

"they're both adults, let them handle their own business will you?" y/n tells him off without so much as sparing him a glance.

then, things got real quiet. wei wuxian huffs before moving a little closer to y/n. he plops down beside him, the two of them still watching jin zixuan and jiang yanli, just in case anything happened between the two. wei wuxian places his head on y/n's shoulder without a word. y/n looks at him, but doesn't say anything. he then brings out something from the inside of his sleeve; a small bottle of alcohol. he took one sip then hands it over to wei wuxian, who takes a sip as well.

"did you talk some sense into him?" wei wuxian asked.

"kinda." y/n half-heartedly answers.

"you know what? i'm looking forward to seeing shijie give that peacock a hard slap to the face." wei wuxian laughed, and somehow, y/n laughed as well.

they both giggled quietly from their hidden spot, the bushes and the overgrowth around them acting as an easy cover for them as they continued sharing sips of alcohol from the bottle, all while watching whatever was happening between jin zixuan and jiang yanli. they couldn't hear a thing from them even though it was so quiet. they couldn't see their expressions either because they were seated a bit farther away than the proper viewing recommendation.

then, something happened — jiang yanli walked away from jin zixuan, who then walks away as well, but in a separate direction.

"huh." wei wuxian hmphed. "i was honestly expecting a lot more."

"i was expecting either a slap or a kiss." y/n confesses before taking a swig of alcohol.

hiss.

rattle.  

a hiss and a rattle quickly alerted y/n and wei wuxian, the two of them immediately getting to their feet as they knew what was coming. the ground shook before an explosion erupts in the side of the mountain, right on top of where jiang yanli was just about to walk through. y/n swiftly moves as he whisks jiang yanli away from the sights of the gigantic monster that had emerged from the smoke and rubble. a mutated measuring snake roars loudly and attempts to chase after lan y/n and jiang yanli, but wei wuxian appears in front of them and blocks the snake's attack with a powerful force-field made out of resentful energy. the snake was blasted away.

y/n keeps the young lady behind him. he felt a thrum of energy spread throughout his chest as he held out a hand. he gathered the resentful energy around him, transforming them and giving them the form of a black arrow. each arrow soared through the air, landing along the snake's body and piercing through its vital organs. the snake roared painfully with each hit and it struggled and thrashed around for a while until finally, it was brought down.

other disciples who had heard the commotion, gathered around the area, whispering and muttering. a tall lady suddenly walks into the scene, dressed in an expensive, golden silk dress, and covered head to toe in golden and bejeweled accessories. this lady was madam jin, the wife of jin guangshan and mother of jin zixuan. following behind her was someone y/n recognized to be jin zixun, jin zixuan's unpleasant relative. he was wearing a scowl on his face as if he were ready to bite someone's face off.