♛ 27

I stared at the doctor with desperation. If something was to happen to Ivo then I would lose it. There would be no way that I could forgive myself. It was irresponsible of me to just leave him in the f-cking tub. I was an idiot. It was an honest mistake, but I was still guilty of carelessness. All of this happened because I couldn't wait thirty minutes to snort a few lines of cocaine. Drugs got me into this predicament. The thing that usually kept me from stressing out was the reason why I was in so much sh-t. If Ivo wasn't okay, Maxim was probably going to beat my ass and I doubt anyone would stop her. I deserved it. If Gloria and Maxim's son is gone then they had every right to do whatever they wanted with me. All hoped for was that Ivo was alive and well. He was only a five year old kid. Five year old kids weren't supposed to be in hospitals, especially for something like this that could've been easily prevented.

"I'm glad to inform all of you that Ivo is fine. He's alive and breathing well. Right now, he's awake asking for his parents. We almost didn't save him. You got him here just in time, any minute later and it just may have been over for the little trooper. He's strong, although." I looked over to Maxim who was holding Gloria. She was crying even though Ivo was okay. He almost died because of me. What if I hesitated to take him to the hospital? He wouldn't even be breathing right now. "There's just one problem. The negligence for what happened to him is undeniable. I have every right to call child's services. From the looks of it, there wasn't any bruises on Ivo's body. According to his statement, the last thing he remembered was falling asleep. He must've fallen asleep while unattended and went down into the water. That's when he must likely panic and couldn't save himself. If a parent was there at the time then none of this would've happened."

"It wasn't their fault," I spoke up before the doctor could say anything else. The older blonde woman looked at me with stern eyes. "You can't call child's services. These two are the best parents to Ivo and they would never be so careless. It was me. I was babysitting him and I left the room for five minutes. When I came back, he was under the water. It was my fault...no one else's." Tears fell from my cheeks as I remember seeing Ivo lying there lifeless on the bathroom floor. I was so sure that he was gone for good. The doctor pursed her lips and looked down at her clipboard.

"What's your name?"

"Lavender Forrester."

"Well, Lavender Forrester, if you were to ever babysit again, which I hope you never do, you should gain skills in CPR. You should do your research. It only takes a few inches for a child Ivo's age to drown. The leading causes of death for one to four year olds are from drowning. Granted, Ivo is five years old, going on six, being left unattended in the bathtub is obviously still a huge risk. It only takes ten seconds. You could turn around to grab a towel and a child could be drowning. You have to remember that kids are active and are dubious to precautions. Ivo fell asleep thinking that he would be fine, but he wasn't. I advise you that you get some training." The doctor turned to Gloria and Maxim. "In your favor, I will not get the police or child's services involved. I advise you guys to get a better babysitter, possibly one with credentials." They both nodded and the doctor smiled a little. "Now, if you follow me. I'll take you to your son."

The two parents began walking behind the doctor, but I stood my ground. They probably didn't want me around Ivo. It was obvious that Maxim most likely didn't even want me anymore. "Come on, Lavender. You can see him," Gloria told me as she turned around to face me. I sighed and followed down behind her. Part of me didn't want to see Ivo, not just yet. He was probably angry at me. Hell, he probably hated me.

When we entered the room, loud cartoons could be heard from a television. I walked in behind the doctor, Maxim and Gloria. Ivo was sitting on the bed, eyes glued to the television. He was paler than usual, but thankfully he looked healthy. A sigh of relief came from me as I slowly walked to his bedside. Gloria was bent over and hugging him tightly as Maxim continually asked him how he felt. Once, Gloria finally let him go, Ivo looked towards me. I bit my lower lip before speaking. "Hey, Ivo. I'm so glad that you're okay. I shouldn't have left you alone, buddy. It'll never happen again. I was being so reckless. I am truly sorry."