Chapter 28: Inspiration

3rd person POV:

(It's a couple days later, Friday afternoon) "UGH! FINALLY!" Miles says as he finally finishes his biology homework. It's not that hard, but his teacher has set so much homework for him, just like the rest of his teachers. The one week he needs time, his teachers set so much work. But finally it's done. Unlike usual, Miles decided to stay in the library to finish his work instead of walking with Gwen. Not something he wanted to do, but he had to finish his work. Plus, he didn't want Gwen around when he got his...... supplies. He goes to his favorite art shop, and gets a bunch of supplies.

-Time skip

After dinner, Miles heads to his room. He shuts his door, and puts his headphones on, with 'Sunflower' on repeat as always. He gets prepared for a long night of work; he looks at the calendar on the wall, and circles a big day: October 12th, Sunday. Less than 2 days away. (Remember Friday night)

-Time skip (I know, another one?)

Miles wakes up the next morning, (Saturday morning) groggy and tired. He didn't do an all-nighter, but he was tired nonetheless. His mom notices, and quickly makes him a breakfast he loves. Omelet, sausages, and bean, with hot chocolate. Simple, but effective. Miles looks a lot more energized upon swallowing the food, but still looks frustrated. "Mijo? What's going on?" His mom asks. "I....um. I'm making some art for someone." He answers. He's trying to be calm, but he's still very obviously frustrated. His mom can tell. "I......I'm lacking inspiration, and I.... also don't know if I'll make it good enough for them. I don't know if I'm good enough." His mom can tell that.... This is more than just the drawing. There's something else, but she's not questioning it right now. "Look my boy," She cups his face in her hands. Miles looks up surprised, he's never heard his mom call him anything other than Mijo, Miles, or at time young man. "Always remember you're amazing at whatever you do. Your art is the best out there! I'm sure whoever receives it will love it. Just trust yourself. Believe in yourself." (Yes I know, so cliché, blah blah) Miles slowly nods. He gets the point, but he still doesn't know what he should do. He sits in his room, and he turns off his music. He scrolls through the messages that he has with Gwen, and pulls up the playlist that she sent him. Maybe that'll give him some inspiration. After a few songs, the song 'What makes you beautiful' plays, just as Miles sees a conversation they had a bit ago.

(Came across this fanart online and couldn't find the artist to this fanart, but it's really nice. Credit to the artist.)

In the conversation: Gwen had sent him a picture of herself in an outfit, and asked for his opinion. Miles had said it looked great, especially on her. But Gwen denied the compliment, saying that she doesn't look good, to Miles annoyance, since he thinks she looks great. As he reads that, the lyrics:

"You don't know, oh-oh, you don't know you're beautiful, oh-oh, That's what makes you beautiful"

Rings through the speakers, and Miles eyes light up as he gets the inspiration he's been looking for. He now has a clear image of what he wants to do, he just now has to perfect it.

-Time skip

After a few hours of work, Miles is still working on his art, draft after draft being restarted. Suddenly, his phone rings. "Hey Miles!" Gwen's voice rings through the phone speakers. "Hey Gwen!" Miles says. "You ok?" Gwen suddenly asks. "Why won't I be?" Miles says. But as he replies, he realizes he sounds super tired, and he has massive bags under his eyes. "You sound sick," Gwen says with concern in her voice. "I wanted to hang out, but I guess you can't," Miles, although wanting to finish his work, didn't wanna disappoint her, so he said "I can still hang out, where?" A stern voice right through the speakers. "NO! MILES MORALES YOU ARE STAYING HOME YOU HEAR ME?" Miles looks at his phone in shock. "Jeez. Ok I will." Gwen sighs, and speaks with a more calm tone, though her concern is still evident. "Sorry for yelling... I just worry about you ok? I don't wanna see anything happen to you. You.... mean a lot to me." Miles couldn't speak after that, surprised by her comment. Gwen didn't seem to expect a response. "Ok, bye Miles." She says with a bit of..... Disappointment in her voice? Miles notes. "Bye" he answers. As they hang up, it's almost like a fire was lit in his stomach. He's more determined than ever to finish his work, and he's gonna make his work perfect.

-Time skip (AGAIN I KNOW)

The next morning, (Sunday morning) Miles's mom wakes up, and does the laundry. But after a while, she's surprised to hear music from Miles's room. She sighs to herself "This boy, not even brushing his teeth, is already playing music." She opens the door to his room, prepared to scold him, but to see her son lying asleep on the floor. Looking at the state the room is in, it seems like Miles was working a long time on that 'artwork' he had told her about, and fell asleep on his chair while working and listening to his music. She's surprised it's not his usual song 'Sunflower' though. (He listens to it so much even his parents know) It's something else. She looks at her son completely asleep on the floor, and laughs. He really put a lot of effort into his work. She takes the stuff off his table to reveal the artwork....

"Wow"

There we go! That doesn't count as a cliffhanger right.....? This chapter isn't too eventful but there's some nice interactions I guess.

Also.... what's Miles got in store for Gwen?