Chapter 53: Together

Reminder: Last chapter of the arc! (Not last chapter of the story.) 

3rd person POV:

Miles landed on the rooftop of the hospital, and dialed his mom's number on his phone. "Hello, mijo?" His mom responded to the call. "Hello mami," He responded to his mom. "Which level are you working at?" Miles asked. "Level 3, I've told you many times. What happened? Are you hurt?" His mom responded, full of worry. "I'm fine, mami, bye" Miles said and he hung up the call quickly. "Are you sure about this Miles? I can- " Gwen asked but was cut off as Miles scooped her up and carried her bridal style. Miles smiled at her with the little part of the mask that was still exposed to Gwen, and then pulled it down to cover his face fully as he looked down the building. "I'm sure. Let's go" Carrying Gwen, Miles slowly scaled down the building onto the third floor, and as they reached the level, Miles spotted his mum at a room, and approached it. While his mom was packing some stuff, he slowly opened the window and then hopped into the room, startling Miles's mom in the process. "Who- OH! Spider-Man? OH MY GWEN! Oh sweetie what happened?" Miles watched his mom panic as she processed what was happening in front of her. She rushed to Gwen's side as Miles/Spider-Man slowly and gently set Gwen down on the patient's bed, and then locked the door for safety. "I got involved in the uh- situation downtown." Gwen said to Ms. Morales, who fussed over her cuts and the state of her leg, which was being supported by a spider-webbing cast. "And I think Spider-Man here has something to say to you." Gwen said, glancing over at the boy before giving him a smile of encouragement.

Mile's mom turned to look at the masked person in front of her, unsure of what to expect. On the other end, Miles's heart was beating tightly. He's never had so much pressure in a situation, and he was wondering if rushing into such a decision was a good idea or not. What if his mom becomes scared of him? What if his police dad arrests him for being a 'vigilante'? What if his parents... won't accept him? As he hesitated, he looked to Gwen for support. His nerves seemed to melt away as he met eyes with her, and that warm smile of hers reassured him everything would be fine, just as she said earlier on the rooftop..

-Mini time change (Minutes ago.)

"What if they don't accept me for being a hero? What if they get scared of me? What if they... don't want me anymore?" Miles stressed to himself on the rooftop, and Gwen sat next to him, head on his shoulder, listening to his anxious words. "Miles..." She said, using her hand to turn his face to meet hers. "You'll be fine. Your parents are great people. They..... Love you more than you realize. I know they're always away and that bothers you but.... Family is always everything. They do love you. Just like how you love them. Don't worry." Miles's head drops down a bit and the two's foreheads meet. Both closing their eyes and enjoying the other's presence next to each other. "Thanks Gwen. What would I ever do without you?" Mile said. Gwen chuckled. "Without me...... You'll just be a goofy clumsy kid in school." Miles scoffed. "Hey!" Gwen laughed and kissed his left cheek. "I'm kidding, Spider-boy" She teased, "But if anything does happen.... You always have me. We go through everything.... Together."

-Time changes back to the present.

Miles then looked at his mom, who was still curiously waiting for his words. Miles gulped, and finally found the courage to speak. "Thing is..... I brought Gwen here because... I trust you." His mom's eyes widened in surprise. "Why would you?" She asked, confused. Miles sighed, and gripped the bottom of the mask with one hand, preparing to do something he didn't think he would ever do. "It's because you're my mom" He said, as he ripped the mask off in front of his mother. Miles's mom covered her mouth with her hands as a massive gasp escaped her lips. "You- I- Spider- What?" His mom stammered and struggled to find the right words. "And she's.... Spider-Woman mom..." Miles managed to say, and then his mom's eyes darted to Gwen's face, who chuckled nervously, but still nodding in confirmation. "You- How- Oh my god." His mom finally managed, and she turned away to go to Gwen. "Mom I-" Mile said, surprised his mom just walked off. "We will talk about this later," His mom said sternly, cutting him off. "Right now I need to treat her wounds.... Oh Gwen sweetie, you poor girl...." She trailed off, slowly grabbing supplies from the shelves to treat her son's girlfriend's injuries. Miles just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to say. "We'll discuss it at home," his mom repeated. "And you tell your dad about all this," Rio Morales said to her son.