Chapter 33: Costume

3rd person POV:

Miles is carried by Gwen, and they land on a nearby building to take a break. As they land, Gwen takes off her mask, and feels her muscles loosen as she takes in the fresh air around her and relaxes. She looks at her friend, and Miles suddenly collapses, groaning in agony. Gwen peels off the mask to see Miles's face contorted in pain. "What's wrong?" She asks, full of worry. Miles rolls up his sleeves a bit to show marks all over them, and Gwen frowns. "How many times have I said to not overdo it. I don't like seeing you hurt." Miles smiles reassuringly. "Hey, at least I'm still awake this time" Gwen looks on, the two locking eyes as they sit there in silence. Then Gwen looks away, with a look Miles can't quite read. "That's not funny Miles..... That's what I'm scared of. There's a chance you won't get up....." Gwen's words drifted off as she tried not to dwell on the possibility of a world..... Where she didn't have Miles.

She's disrupted from her thoughts as Miles gives her a big hug. Gwen initially was surprised, but melts into the hug. She looks down, and her look softens as she sees the marks on Miles's hands slowly fade away as he recovers. The two separate, and both are at a loss for words. Both just pick at their injuries, and occasional noise of pain coming from them. Miles decides to break the ice. "I really should get a costume," He says. Gwen looked around, and stifled a laugh. She didn't really pay attention to his costume. It was essentially a weak body suit where he spray painted it for style with red and black, sporting a jacket on top.... And Jordans on his feet. "Really? Jordans?" She laughed, as Miles rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment. "Gotta go in style" was all he could manage as the girl beside him laughed out loud. "Untied laces as well?" She asked, pointing at Miles's laces. "It's an um... fashion statement" Miles replied, not really thinking about it. Gwen chuckled. "Right..... Like I didn't see you trip on those laces mid-fight" Miles just looked away, face red in embarrassment. "Stop it...." he said, annoyed by the teasing. Gwen just put her hands up as a sign that she's done. "You're right though," She says, looking at Miles's uniform, the body suit torn up with holes in many places, though the Jordans were miraculously in great condition. "I don't know what to do......" Miles says "How did you do it?" he looked on at Gwen. She just shrugged and replied "I did it myself. Took me a couple times still." She just said, as Miles heaved a sigh.

-Time skip

The two depart, both going home for dinners respectively and also knowing they have school the next day. But while Miles was heading straight home, Gwen headed away.... Not to her home. Instead, she headed for a fabric shop.... Where she made her first suit. She heads home, and also gathers other supplies. She gets home, and looks at her wall.... The drawing miles had made for her right up there, where she could see it everyday. The conversation that happened not more than an hour ago rang through her head, as well as the fight with Octavius earlier right in her head. It's about time she helped him really get into spider-action.

 It's about time she helped him really get into spider-action

-Time skip (The next day)

After a long day of school, Gwen's in Miles's dorm. With Ganke out in the STEM club, Gwen had asked to come over to study algebra. "UGH!" Gwen throws her book against the wall, as Miles watches on, an amused smile plastered on his face. "So what is the x?" She asks, looking back at Miles, who proceeds to explain, who was just naturally smart. Gwen was really struggling though. Though she was smart, her math was usually a B, not good enough for her own standards, and she really needed help. She really struggled despite all the help Miles gave, and especially since.... Sometimes she got distracted when he was explaining.... And to her own annoyance, he was the one that distracted her. Just by being there. Ever since she came to the realization that she liked him, her nervousness around him rose, and she found it harder not to be distracted by his presence. Today was no exception, and she found it frustrating. "Gwen?" Miles asked. "You're still looking at me. Do you not understand?" Gwen blushed, realizing she was still staring at Miles, though he had long finished his explanation of the question. "I uh-" She was cut off by her phone ringing. 'Phew' Gwen thought. Saved by the phone. She picked it up to hear MJ complaining about her not being at practice yet. She looked at her watch, and looked in surprise to realize she forgot about time while being at Miles's place. "I- gotta go," she said hurriedly, packing her things. Miles nodded, understanding the situation.

-Time skip

After a long practice, the 4 girls were sitting there, all on their phones, taking a break, until MJ spoke up. "It's good.... But it doesn't feel the same with only one singer. I don't know how this'll work." The rest looked up, and just nodded. They didn't have a solution. They'll have to find one soon, but don't know how to.

 They'll have to find one soon, but don't know how to

-Time skip

Gwen had to help a teacher deliver some supplies to the school office, and she dropped them off to the office woman, Ms. Diana. After dropping them off, Gwen was waiting for her to finish processing the work so she could leave. As she waited for Ms. Diana to finish, a thought suddenly struck her. "Ms. Diana?" She asked "You have the profiles of all students on your database right?" The woman nodded, and Gwen continued. "Do you have Miles Morales on there?" The woman typed up the name on her computer, and said "Yes. Why?" "Would you be able to tell me his birthday?" The woman nodded. "It's November 15th" She answered Gwen. Gwen gave her thanks, before starting to leave. Gwen walked to her dorm, as she started to dial a number on her phone in the process. As the person on the other side of the line picked up, Gwen said:

"MJ, make me the main singer for our other song on competition day"

What's Gwen planning? Why does she wanna sing?

P.S. Very late but thanks for 6k, it's crazy how much the story has grown in such a short period of time.