Chapter 29: Birthday girl?

"Wow"

His mom says, as she looks at the drawing. Miles starts to wake up at that moment, stirring from his nap. "Morning..." He says groggily, to which his mom laughs. "Young man, you have a lot to explain about." She says, as Miles rubs the sleep out of his eyes. "What?" He asked. "Is this a girl you drew?" She asked, looking at Miles's drawing. Miles, not understanding the situation, says "yes?" To which his mom smirks. "And you said you're drawing a gift for a friend recently. This.... Is one of the best artworks I've seen you do, and your standard is very high. Looks like you're putting lots of effort in for this person." She said, looking at Miles, fidgeting his fingers. With no response, she continues "Is it that Gwen girl you talk about?" She asks. Miles lightly blushes as she mentioned it. Does he actually talk about her that much? "Yes......" he answers begrudgingly. His mom inspects the drawing "She seems like a pretty girl...." She says. Miles resists the urge to say yes, only to slap himself in the face as he thinks about what he almost said. What is going on with him? "You should definitely invite her over sometime" His mom says, smiling at him. "Uh.... sure" He says. "Can I go do my stuff now?" His mom laughs and walks out. "Sure, Mijo"

Miles calls a number on the phone. "Gwen! Happy birthday!" Miles says as the video call opens. "Miles! Thanks! Are you feeling better?" Miles laughs "I'm fine, I'm fine" Gwen furrows her eyebrows, "You sure? I still see some bags under your eyes, and you sound tired." "I'm fine Gwen! I'm fine! Don't worry" Gwen seems to want to argue, but seems to decide against it. "So....." Miles begins, catching her attention "I feel like I should take you out for lunch as a gift" Miles says. Gwen's eyes light up in excitement. "Burgers? Pizza? Fries?" Miles chuckles at her child-like energy at the moment. She likes the food, but she doesn't always buy it due to her restricting herself. But it seems like her birthday is an exception. "Anything you want," Miles says. "YAY!" Gwen says through the phone. Miles laughs "Ok.... see you in 15 minutes at our usual place?" Gwen nods. "See ya birthday girl" Miles says. "Bye" Gwen says as the call cuts off.

-Time skip

Miles is waiting for Gwen outside Central park, waiting patiently for the birthday girl. "Miles!" Gwen yells as she runs towards him. Miles turns around to see the girl running up to her, and he smiles widely. "Happy birthday" he says as he pulls her into a hug. Gwen doesn't say anything, just smiling as she returns the hug. After a few moments, they break apart, and a sense of awkwardness falls between them. "So.... burger place? Like I said on me" Miles says, as he gives her a confident smile, wanting to break the silence. Gwen returns a small smile as she nods.

-Time skip

-Time skip

They both ordered their meal, and are currently eating. "I love this," Gwen says, wiping her mouth with a napkin. "Thanks so much for this gift Miles." Miles gave her a small smile, not knowing how to answer. "Well......" Miles says. "I actually lied" Gwen quickly looks over in surprise. "You're not paying for this?" She asks with disappointment in her voice. Miles notices it and quickly tries to make up. "Well no," He says, "I am paying for this, but this wasn't my gift". He finishes. Gwen looks across the table skeptically. "What do you mean, Morales?" She asks. Miles smiles as he pulls something out of his bag. To Gwen, it looked like a rolled up poster? "A poster?" She asked as she slowly removed the rubber band. Miles rubbed his hair, "No...... not exactly. Just open it, " he says. Filled with curiosity, Gwen peels the rubber band off, and gasps.

"Wow"

(I managed to find the artist, it's @starryluluko on Instagram, I really recommend everyone go check out the artwork there and like it, since it is SO GOOD

(I managed to find the artist, it's @starryluluko on Instagram, I really recommend everyone go check out the artwork there and like it, since it is SO GOOD. The artist is so talented I could never do something like that.)

Miles smiles, hand still in his hair. "You like it?" Gwen is speechless. As she finally looked up, she said "For the last time, Miles, I don't like your art, I love it. I was surprised last time but.... This is one of the best art I've ever seen. This is the best gift I've gotten for a while." Miles couldn't help but smile wider, just as Gwen has. Gwen gets up from her seat and just bear hugs Miles. "Thank you so much" She says as she buries her head in his chest. "No problem," Miles says.

As they walk out, Gwen just keeps looking at it. "It's so beautiful" she says again. "How long did it take you to do this? Wait, how did you know my birthday? I'm certain I've never told you." Miles laughs nervously. "So I might've asked MJ what your birthday was. Remember that day during the band when you went to the bathroom?" Gwen sighs. "Should've seen that. Was that when I overheard how I would've liked something?" He nods. "And with how long I spent on doing this...." Miles says. He sweats slightly as Gwen looks on, awaiting an answer. "I started on Friday night and finished this morning." Gwen gasps, but this time with more concern than shock. "Miles...." She says "Is that why you were so tired when I called you?" She asked. Miles nodded, and jumped back as Gwen swung her arm for a punch. "Going for something new?" Miles smirked, noting she wasn't trying to slap himself for not taking care of himself this time. He likes it though. Although it hurts, it's her tough love way of showing how much she cares. Gwen nods at him. "Damn spider-sense." She says. Miles nodded sideways. "It wasn't spider-sense, it was just more reflex and like.... Expecting it. You don't trigger my spider-senses." Miles laughed. Gwen wondered aloud "But... spider-sense should trigger whenever danger is around." "Guess you're not a threat at all to me." Miles smiled. "Not because you're weak but because I trust you so much." To Miles's relief, Gwen's face softens as he says that. "Good. I thought you were calling me weak." Gwen says, slowly turning away to walk. "Hey where are you going?" Miles asked, as Gwen started walking. "C'mon spider-boy! We've been standing in the middle of the road for like 10 minutes, time to move!" She says as she starts to pick up the pace. "Slow down!" Miles says as he starts to chase. Gwen winks at him, before running and turning the corner.

As Gwen left Miles's line of sight, she slowed down a bit, and felt her beating heart in her chest. "He trusts me that much....?" She said to herself.          

Here's chapter 29 ya'll!  Thought I'll bless you all with another chapter early since I don't have any school work today. So.... Gwen's birthday! What's gonna happen next?

P.S. I can't restate how good that fanart of Gwen is it's so damn good.