Chapter 59: More....

3rd person POV (More towards Miles):

"We just know....... Someone has to die." Miguel's harsh words rang through the room. Miles looked up at him, completely shocked by those words. Have to? Why do they have to die? People can always be saved.... There must be a way.... There always is one....

"Why don't you try to save them?" Gwen spoke up. Miles was happy she spoke the words he wanted to ask. He wasn't sure his emotions were in check at that moment with his blood boiling. He just couldn't stand to see innocent lives dying.... Especially his uncle..... A death he'll forever blame himself for. "We did try, '' Peter B. Parker said, to Miles's surprise. "We tried..... We really did. But we found out..... Messing with canon events was a bad idea. Redirecting canon events is redirecting a point in time that is almost set in stone. It changes everything. And we mean everything. People changed...." Miles asked skeptically "Changed?" Peter B. sighed. "Their fates changed... they became evil, twisted... or received terrible fates.... We were able to recover some of them.... But some of them are not fine. We decided to stop after that." Miguel nodded at the side. "It's true. Some spider variants like Spiders-man, and there's a universe where Mac Gargan, the Scorpion took the venom symbiote and became a super-villain and somehow the main spider person of that universe, Spider-Doppelganger, Spider-X, even Web-man used to be a villain..." He trailed off, a troubled look on his face as he said so. 

"So every spider-person has to go through this?" Miles asked

"So every spider-person has to go through this?" Miles asked. Miguel nodded again for confirmation. "Yes.... for some reason, it is a canon event. Like I said, it's not exactly an event set in stone in time, but it definitely is an important event in each universe. If it doesn't happen or it changes..... Everything changes. You don't want to see some of the universes I've seen....." Peter B. Parker sighed, picking up a cup of coffee as he said "Yes..... so it's not like we don't wanna save people..... We're as passionate as you Miles, especially when we all went through this. But we really can't. In the grand scheme of things, saving one life can cause the death of almost an entire universe." Miles took a deep breath, before saying "Who was it for you?" He looked at Peter B. Gwen proceeds to smack him in the head. "Don't ask that you dumbass!" She hissed. Peter B. laughed, before saying "It's fine Gwen...... it's been years." He sighed, looking up at the ceiling with a blank look. "I remember like it was yesterday.... And it was all my fault. I watched a criminal steal.... This was in my early days. I won't go into detail, but the criminal stole from someone I didn't like, so I let it pass. I didn't take responsibility for it and I paid for it. Later that day..... The same guy killed my Uncle. Uncle Ben....... And it was all my fault. I could've stopped him.... Could've stopped him and it all could've changed." Gwen had her hand over her mouth. "I'm so sorry" She said, and Peter gave the two teenagers a sad smile. "It's fine. When you've been in the Spider-Man business for long enough, you learn to cope. The important thing is not letting something take over you, and to control your emotions." Miles nodded. "For me it was my girlfriend Ana...... I won't go into detail about her..... But I loved her.." Miguel said, sighing. "All this is for her." Peter B. nodded. "The important thing is to learn from mistakes.... Even though ones like these haunt us forever. I remember my Uncle Ben told me this before he died 'With great power comes-'" He was cut off. "Great responsibility...." Miles cut in, earning a surprised look from Peter B. "It was my Uncle Aaron.... Before he died." Miles said, hugging himself and looking at the floor. "Yeah..... I remember it like yesterday. Now I live by these words....." A silence filled the air as everyone took time to process the information. Peter B. jumped as his watch suddenly beeped, and an audible cry can be heard through the watch. "That's the sensor I had on her baby crib. Gotta go pick up Mayday." He said as he walked out the room hurriedly.

Miles and Gwen walked out the room, Gwen hugging onto Miles as they walked towards a balcony on the side of the Spider Society building

Miles and Gwen walked out the room, Gwen hugging onto Miles as they walked towards a balcony on the side of the Spider Society building. Gwen shot a web and stuck to the ceiling, getting a better view over the ledge of the balcony. Miles followed suit, and the two settled on the ceiling, Gwen leaning against Miles. A silence cut between them, and Gwen looked at Miles, who was visibly shaken. "Miles? Are you good?" Gwen asked, and Miles nodded, though Gwen knew he wasn't fine. "You're thinking about him aren't you?" Miles nodded, and a broken voice croaked out of his mouth. "I could've changed it... I just know I could've...." Gwen frowned. Even after so many months, the death still hurt Miles, and it broke her heart every time he became like this. "Miles.... It's not your fault.... Miguel already said it was an event almost set in stone in time....... It wasn't your fault. It was Margo...."

"Plus you're not the only one who feels like they could've done more"

________________________________________________________________________________

So yet again I'm back! I think I promised weekly updates on chapters, sorry I didn't keep up on that promise if I did make it, I'm just really busy, and I'm also slowly trying to form up how this arc goes, there's lots of ideas but it's more about how to put them all together without it looking weird and unorganized, so please be patient. Thanks!

I promise I'm trying to update more, but it's just been hard recently. Hope ya'll understand.

________________________________________________________________________________

P.S. What does Gwen mean in the end? Any guesses?