🐍 Schemer of the Scalding Sands: Chapter 2 🐍

Once the four arrived at the Mirror Chamber, they saw that students were everywhere, mostly trying to get any items they left behind in their dorms and just trying to get home. Even the four could see that students were huddled in front of the Dark Mirror, some heading in, and others waiting for their turn to head home. "Wow, it's already packed with students going home," Deuce says as students walk into the Mirror Chamber with suitcases and bags to take home.

"Hah, they all look so antsy," Ace chuckles at the students' faces, with someone being happy and some being nervous about seeing their family. "Now then, where's that headmage?" Ace says as he looks around for the headmage, only to hear a familiar booming voice.

"All right, everyone," Crowley states to the crowd of students, getting the quartet's attention, only to be shocked at the outfit he's wearing. Instead of his usual attire of a suit and clock, Crowley was wearing with seems to be a white fedora, with a brightly colored yellow shirt with apples and flowers, and hite pants, making him seem more 'tropical' then normal. "Announce your destination to the Dark Mirror and keep a tight hold on your belongings. If you let go for any reason while in transit, your luggage will get spirited away elsewhere. If you have any possessions you absolutely cannot afford to risk losing, send them by post from the school store."

"He's in total party mode!" The boys exclaim while Angel just sighs. He's always finds some way to worry me.

"Wearing an aloha shirt in the middle of winter?! He's obviously ready to go on a tropical vacation!" Ace states as he watches him lead the students in the Dark Mirror with a smile, which the four conclude it was because of the fact that with the students gone, his vacation could start.

"He's not even trying to hide it," Deuce says with a sigh.

"Hey, Headmage! We gotta talk!" Grim shouts, getting Crowley's attention.

"Why, hello. What brings your merry little band here?" Crowley asks the four, armed crossed in impatience as he waits for the answer.

Angel wasn't sure what to ask, but seeing that needs take priority, she decided to ask the question that worried her the most. "Have you planned for our food situation over the break?"

Crowley blinks for a moment, letting the question process in his mind. "Ah...Ahhh! Ahhhh, yes! Of course I've planned for it!" He quickly says, avoiding the four's stare. "What kind of headmage would I be otherwise? Why, I was just about to make arrangements online to have food delivered to you!"

"In other words, you were gonna leave us to starve," Grim states with a dead panned expression. "I'm guessin' you ain't even tryin' to find a way home for Angel, either."

"How rude. I most certainly am," Crowley says sternly, offended by the statement. "In fact, I'll be spending the winter break expanding my investigation area to a tropical land I've never visited before. That's how deep my diligent streak runs," he says with a smile.

"You don't look dressed for an investigation to me," Ace mumbles.

"What he said!" Grim says, agreeing with Ace. "You look ready to go soak up the sun!"

"How could you suggest that? I've only cladded myself in appropriate attire for my venture. When in a foreign land, do as the locals do," Crowley says, trying to get the teens' stare off of him. "Escaping winter's frigid bite to kick back in a hammock and sip coconut juice while gazing at the tranquil ocean waves..." He says dreamily, then clears his throat. "I have NO such refined and indulgent vacation plans whatsoever, I assure you."

"What an incredibly specific denial..." Deuce mumbles.

"It ain't fair for you to have all the fun!" Grim angrily says. "I wanna go on a tropical vacation too. Take us with you!"

The response only shocks Crowley. "What? But that would spoil my delightful getaway from-" Crowley clears his throat. "Ah, ahem! This investigation will be dangerous. Yes, very dangerous. Best that I handle it alone. Besides, I'd much prefer if you stayed on campus. I have a critical job for you, as a matter of fact," he states to Grim and Angel. "It's so critical, the very survival of Night Raven College hinges upon it."

Oh boy, here we go again. Angel thinks as she looks at Crowley. "The school's survival?" She asks, trying not to let annoyance get in the way of her question.

"Ahem. The fires in our campus cafeteria and fireplaces are all furnished via fire fairy magic," Crowley explains. "They've lived in the cafeteria fireplace for many years, but if we don't supply them with dry firewood everyday, they will fade away. Should the fire fairies disappear, our whole campus would be gripped with cold every winter. You can see how the school's survival would be at stake." Huh...it's actually a reasonable request.

"You know, I've wondered how the school stays so warm without central air," Deuce speaks up.

"So it was magic. Kinda obvious in hindsight," Ace says.

"Normally, our kitchen ghosts taken over fire duty during extended school breaks..." Crowley explains. "But this year, his daughter had a baby, so he's visiting the netherworld to see his first grandchild. Thus, I would like you two to handle things in his absence," he looks to the two. "Should you take on this job, your holiday provisions will be provided in full. I'll even arrange for a holiday feast. Roast turkey, pie, a ham as big as your head...In fact, I'll throw in some piping hot spare ribs and mashed potatoes to sweeten- er, salt?- the deal. What do you say?"

"Mrah! Sounds like a one-way ticket to a food coma!" Grim exclaims, shocked at the food Crowley will provide. "H-hmph. I guess I'll hear you out, at least," Grim says with a smirk.

"Dude, you are a born sucker," Ace sighs.

"Ghosts can have grandchildren...?" Angel mumbles, thinking about the ghost kid, with Ace and Deuce sighing at her.

"Look, it was a miracle of love, okay? Don't sweat the details," Crowley quickly says, making her even more confused.

"What's a 'miracle of love'?" She asks, shocking Crowley and the teens, in which they blushed and quickly covered her mouth, hoping to never explain the process and to stop her from asking anymore embarrassing questions. Let's hope we don't tell her, Ace and Deuce thinks, not wanting to ruin her innocence.

Crowley clears his throat. "More to the point, someone needs to handle the fire duty if you want to stay warm over the holidays," he states. "Just by throwing firewood into the fireplace every day, you'll stay both warm AND well-fed. That is, as we say, two birds with one stone. Oh, what a generous deal!" Crowley happily exclaims.

"Y'know," Grim starts, thinking about the proposal. "This does sound like kind of a gimme compared to the usual messes you dump in our laps."

"Doesn't it, though?" Crowley smiles. "You would be surprised at just how kind I can be. Oh yes, and since I'll be out for a while, I'd like to give you something. Please hand me your phone," he tells Angel and Ace and Deuce removed their hands, letting her get her phone and give it to Crowley. Crowley types something on her phone, handing it back to her, leaving her confused. "My number is in there and you can call me in the event of any emergency," he explains. "It is to be used ONLY for emergencies, mind you," he sternly says to her, in which she nods in understanding. "Now then, if you'll excuse me, I have many students to transport home to their families. I'll leave the rest in your capable hands," he says to the four and walks towards a group of students. "Ah, I'd better make certain to peruse some tourist pamphlets before I set out. Goodness gracious, I'm so very busy..." He mumbles as he walks off.

Once Crowley leave, Grim starts to chuckle. "Myah ha ha! Now I get to chow down on a fancy feast over the holidays!" He happily cheers.

"I still get the feeling you just took a sucker's deal, but hey, whatever floats your boat," Ace says as he smiles at the two.

Suddenly, the sound of hurried footsteps is heard and the four sees that Ruggie was heading towards them, carrying a big bag stuffed with something. "Hey, guys!" He calls out to the four. "You can stop standing in the middle of the hall and blocking traffic now!"