🐍 Schemer of the Scalding Sands: Chapter 14 🐍

After marching for another half hour, Angel and Grim started to see what looks to be palm trees in the distance, only to think again when they start to approach the 'oasis': a giant hole with withered trees surrounding it, almost as if hasn't seen water in weeks. As the group near the oasis, Angel looked at Kalim on the elephant and then at the oasis, a thought coming to her. I've...seen this scenery in my dreams... "A parade of elephants and camels with a prince riding one..." She mumbles as she looks at the sight in front of her.

"Hey, Angel, what're you starin' off into space for?" Grim asks, bringing her out of her thoughts. "Did the heat get to you?"

"No..." She responds. "I...just got a weird feeling about this place..."

Grim only look at her and sighs. "You starin' off in space isn't anything unusual, but I don't see why you have a weird feelin' 'bout a place you've never been before."

"Everyone, halt!" Kalim announces as the elephant stop, making everyone else stop as well, happy at the fact that they finally reached their destination after two and a half hours.

"Phew. We made it at last!" Grim happily exclaims as he and Angel sit on the ground, relishing their long-awaited break. The students follow suit, glad to finally be able to rest.

"We will take fifteen-minute break," Jamil announces to the group. "Then we march back to the dorm."

"Finally, some water..." Grim says as he tries to crawl to the water, only look at the empty watering hole in disbelief. "Wait. What kinda bizarro oasis is this?! It's empty!" He exclaims in shock.

"Water?" Kalim asks, looking at the giant hole in the oasis. He blinks. "You say you want water?" He asks.

Grim looks at him in disbelief. "Uh, duh? My throat's as dry as a bone."

Kalim smiles. "Then water you shall have....and I'll make it cool and refreshing for you!" Kalim looks at the hole, light beginning to form around him. "Respite in the scalding sands, a never-ending party. Dance! Sing! Oasis Maker!"

Soon enough, a raindrop fell on Angel's head, then another, and then another until a shower poured down, the cool refreshing rain slowly filling up the hole while also landing on the students, smiles on their faces. "Oooh! Sweet, merciful rain!" Grim happily exclaims as he let the water fall on him, enjoying the cool liquid. Angel holds her hands out, gathering water as she looks on in awe while slowly enjoying the liquid herself.

"I was feeling like a withered husk for a minute there but this water's refreshing me from the inside out!" A student says as he gathers rainwater in his hands and drink it.

"Ahhh...I needed that," a student sighs in relief as the rain hits him.

"You really like it?" Kalim asks with a smile. "If water's all you want, them I'll produce enough to fill this whole oasis. That's my signature spell, Oasis Maker. It allows me to expend a little bit of magical power to produce large volumes of finest water."

The two listen to the explanation, Angel looking at it in awe while Grim thinks for a a moment. "Y'know...Making a buncha water seems really low-key for a signature spell. There are plenty of other spells that let you conjure water..."

"I beg to differ," Kalim interjects. "The point of Oasis Maker is its efficiency. It produces a lot using a very small amount of magic. Back before the advent of running water, one would have had to draw their own water and boil it to sterilize it. A spell like mine would have been a tremendous boon back then. But I guess you're right. Now that running water is a widespread service, it's not the most useful of spells. Aha ha!" He laughs. Wouldn't it be useful for places like a savanna, though? "But hey! I'm still confident that the water I conjure is the finest, most delicious water in all the land," he says proudly.

"Now that you mention it," Grim says as he feels the water on his fur, "it's basically the perfect temperature. Not too cold to drink, but not lukewarm, either. And it does down all nice 'n smooth, like fresh spring water," he smiles.

"Since when are monsters water aficionados?" Jamil asks in disbelief, crossing his arms as he approaches the three.

"Hey, I resent that! I've got a discerning palate for everything!" Grim states.

"I rather not take that from a monster who eats stones from the floor," Angel sweat drops.

"I figured!" Kalim happily says. "I was right to hope you would appreciate the difference. Here, have a cracker as a treat," he says as he pulls out a cracker from his pocket.

"Erk!" Grim flinches at the sight. "I'm hungry, sure, but this ain't the best time for dry and crumbly foods!"

Angel watches the scene, seeing that Kalim was trying to give Grim the cracker and Grim trying to refuse, only to fail as Kalim was able to shove the cracker in his mouth. She looks to Jamil, seeing that he was watching the scene as well, a concerned expression on his face. "Is he back to his sunny disposition from before?" She asks Grim as he sulks back, glad at the fact that the cracker went down easily.

"Now that ya mention it, it's like those were two different guys," He whispers.

"Hm?" Kalim hums as he looks at the two. "Did you say something, Angel?"

"Ah...no. Just enjoying the water," she says with a small smile. "It's really good." Kalim smiles at her compliment.

"Kalim," Jamil calls. "Our fifteen minutes are just about up. Let's assemble the students and get back to the dorm."

"Already?" Kalim asks as he looks at the students still enjoying their break. "A little more time to catch our breath wouldn't hurt them any."

"The sun will rise higher is we take took long," Jamil states. "The hotter it gets, the worse our trip back will be." The thought only makes Angel flinch, knowing well enough that she didn't want to experience marching in even hotter temperatures than now.

"I'll help if you need it," Angel says, trying not to experience the hellish march back with hotter temperatures beating down her back.

The request only shocks Jamil and he just smiles at her. "You're a guest, you don't have to help, but I do appreciate the sentiment, nonetheless."

"You've got a point though Jamil," Kalim says as he looks at the group of students. "Okay, guys! Let's get back to the dorm and have breakfast! Back to marching!" He announces and the students happily responds, getting ready for the march back with newfound energy.