✨Side Story 28: Mama Boys ✨

A/N: Here's the chapter I promised this weekend! It's nothing much since it took me a few hours to write but it was something in the back of my mind for a while so I decided to write it. Will fix it when I have time! We have about...2 or maybe 3 more side stories before I start on Book 5 and let's just say, I'm thinking really hard on how to write the characters and well...some of the chapters in it so it's taking a bit of a while to plan them ahead of time. Still enjoying my break but will still keep you updated. The next side story should hopefully be ready either a little before or after Christmas (guess I should start writing now huh? 😓) but as I said in the last chapter, my friend is here for a short while before she gets shipped off so I might be a bit lagging on posting. Anyway, hope you guys have a good Christmas prep week! (12/17/23)

"Yes mom, I know," Deuce sighs. "Don't worry, I'll bring you gifts for the holidays...Huh? Yes, everything is fine. Just getting last minute assignments done...N-no, everything is fine! I promise...Okay, I'll see you soon." He hangs up the phone, sighing in relief. "Man, it's getting more nerve wracking to hide the things I've did so far from my mom. I don't want her to worry, but after everything I did so far this year, if I told her, she would be concerned even more." He looks down at his lap, seeing papers about. "Maybe I should knock out some assignments first before doing anything else. I told her that I'm going to be an honor student, and I'm not giving up now!" He determinedly exclaims.

"I'm sure you know it's against the rules to shout in the courtyard unless it's an emergency," a voice speaks and Deuce jumps in surprise. He turns around to see Riddle glaring at him.

"H-Housewarden Rosehearts, sir!" Deuce exclaims. "It's only to motivate myself! I promise!"

"No need to raise your voice further. If you plan to motivate yourself, do it quietly, without bothering other students," Riddle states with a sigh. "People come to the courtyard to relax, and yet, I would hope that you're getting your schoolwork done before the break starts."

"Yes, sir! That's the plan," Deuce says. "I'm not giving up to be an honor student, so I was planning on doing that now."

"Hm..." Riddle hums in thought. "You said that you are planning to be an honor student for your mother, correct?"

"Yeah," Deuce smiles. "I want her to know that I'm doing well at school. Trying my best to not get in trouble and to get good grades."

"It seems that you have a long way to achieve that dream," Riddle states.

"Y-yeah..." Deuce scratches the back of his head. "So far, it hasn't been good, but I am trying my best!"

"I would admit that. Though the events so far in the school year have been unbecoming, I can admit that you have been trying your best."

"For grades, I've been getting help from you and Angel when you have time, so I would like to thank you again for helping me." He bows.

"No need. It's the upperclassmen's job to help their underclassmen. Besides, having you as a student is a rewarding experience," Riddle smiles.

Deuce fixes himself back up, looking at Riddle, hesitating his next words. "Um, Housewarden, can I ask a question?"

"You may, if it's appropriate."

"Um, don't you have a goal for your time at Night Raven for your mom? I know that your circumstances is, well, odd, but my goal is driven by my mom to be a better person, so I was wondering if you had a specific goal to achieve."

Riddle look at him with eyes wide. "I...I've never had really thought about exactly what my goal is," he says as he looks down in thought. "I have always followed what my mother expected of me, always to achieve her expectations, be what she wanted to me to be, but never had a personal goal to change like you do. It must be...a nice change of pace," he quietly says.