✨Side Story 27: One Step at a Time✨

A/N: So just going to say this guys: there are plans to write more side stories, but my best friend is coming home from the navy this weekend for the holidays and I'm going to hang out with her and my friends for the next week and half, preventing me from writing as much for the side stories. The plan is to finish the side stories by the beginning of January so I can start on book 5, but there is also the release schedule I am thinking about. We got 76 chapters coming up for book 5, so I'm also thinking about releasing 3 chapters 2x a week instead of 2 chapters 3x a week. If not then it'll be the normal 2 chapters 2x a week. Anyway, there are plans for at least 3 or 4 more side stories before I start on book 5 so thanks for being patient everyone! The next one might be shorter and be might released this weekend (12/16/23) so look out for it! (12/12/23)

"Now, are you sure you want to do this?" Jamil asks Angel as she prepares her hair.

"Yes I am!" She determinedly says as she looks over her appearance, nodding at her look as if accepting it. "What do I need to do?"

Jamil looks at her and sighs, getting things ready. "Well, did you make sure you have everything? Tools? Ingredients?"

Angel looks over the counter, mentally checking the items. Bowl, check. Knifes, check. Oven is preheated. Pot is getting warmed up. Tomatoes, potatoes, meat, onions, beans, spices, check. She looked at the spices. Gram masala, cumin, curry power, curry paste, turmeric, peppers... "Yep, everything is here. I'm ready Jamil."

"Just so you know, I don't go easy on people," Jamil says as he stands next to her, knife in hand and picking up a potato. "Just because you cook for Grim, doesn't mean you're a good cook." He peels the potato and Angel follows suit, closely following his movement. "I've been cooking for Kalim's family for years, going through training to try and appeal to his tastes and preferences, so I know how to do things like this from the back of my hand. This much is necessary for a servant of the Asim family."

"Um...Jamil," Angel says, stopping him. "You said you wouldn't do that again."

"Ah..." Jamil says in acknowledgement, realizing his mistake. "Right. Force of habit."

"We've been over this. You're not a slave. You're equal, and even Kalim said it," she states.

"Don't get me started," Jamil sighs as he starts cutting the onion, Angel followed his knifework, trying her best to copy his skills. He has complimented her on her knife skills before, but says that there is always room for improvement, mainly saying that for Grim's safety since he would always walk the counter, trying to snack on ingredients from time to time. "It's hard to be released from that mindset, but I truly am tired of going with Kalim's wishes and whims, so it's a good distraction."

"Besides, Kalim wanted to compete against you now instead of you holding back, so all is good, right?" Angel says as she puts the onions in the pot, letting them cook while she starts seasoning the meat.

"Biggest mistake," Jamil deadpans. "Kalim been trying to do things on his own, and it's not good. He tried to clean himself up after waking up one day, only for him to walk out in his pajamas instead of his dorm uniform, and even so, his disheveled appearance got everyone's attention," he complains. "I've told him over and over that there was a specific process he needed to do but he just smiles at me and says that it was his mistake, only to be worse every time he tries to fix it."

Angel sweat dropped at the complaints. "H-he's trying his best Jamil..."

"And don't get me started on the students," he continues as he prepares the spices. "His lazy, laidback attitude is starting to affect the students, which isn't a bad thing since it's break, but when school starts, without structure, he'll be throwing parties without studying, lowering his status as the Asim heir."