🐍 Schemer of the Scalding Sands: Chapter 36 🐍

Angel slowly opens her eyes, groaning at the effort as she slowly awakens, looking around her as she gets up. The familiar darkness only welcomes her, but something seemed different. She looked around for a moment, only to encounter someone looking at her from a distance. She froze at the sight, seeing the familiar red eyes looking at her, boring into her as she cowers at the look, the feeling of fear starting to overtake her. The person walks towards her, each step making her flinch as they stop in front of her. She looked up, seeing that they towered over her, but the look they gave her was full of disgust, and she looked down, feeling fear and shame overcome her. "You've seen what happened."

The statement makes her look at the person, seeing that the red eyes staring at her as she cowers again at the intense stare. "What...happened...?" She quietly asks, trying not to anger the person further.

The person leans down, stopping at her face as she flinches. "You've seen what happened to people like us. So why do you continue? After seeing those two, why do you continue to help knowing what will happen?"

Angel thinks about the words. What happened indeed? What are they talking about...? She thinks back, trying to figure out what they mean. The only thing she could think of what.... She gasps. The vision she had before. She looked at the figure in front of her, seeing that the figure was dressed in black, but the thing that stood out was the glowing red eyes in front of her. She's seen him before. Yes...it was that vision. She wants to ask him, but she had a feeling that if she did, he wouldn't like the question, but she knew.

The man in front of her laughs at her silence, a chill going down her spine. "You know nothing, child," he says. "What's to stop you from being like those two people before? What's to stop someone from betraying you? In this world, you do not belong, and yet, here you are, thinking that the people you trust will be by your side as friends." He starts to walk around her and she stood in silence, feeling something touching her, a nauseous feeling coming to her, the same feeling as earlier. "People will betray you and every corner, you know," he says. "I told you before, for the people you're around, you are just a pathetic parasite latching on them. What do you have to offer that they don't need to get rid of you? What is to stop them from abandoning you when it is convenient?" She felt something wrap around her neck, the air starting to leave her body as something tightens. "I could gladly end your doubts, child," the man says with a smile. "You do not need to go through this, but I assure you, when you do go through this, you will wish you take my offer." The man stopped in front of her and looked at her, seeing the pattern in her eyes as she struggled to take whatever was wrapped around her neck off. "Tell me, child, what do you REALLY want? Do you continue to suffer, or will you let me help you?"

Angel shook in fear at the look he gave her, the force around her neck tightening he continued to observe her. It's not a lie to say that what he said earlier didn't stick with her. She's been constantly thinking about it. Every time something magical happens, she can't do anything. What could she do? If she intervened, she would have been more of a problem than before, but if she didn't intervene, she would have felt more useless than before. She knew that she wasn't the only person without magic in the world, but when people constantly tell you that you're useless and pathetic without magic, it does hurt, a lot. She continued to think back on the words Riddle and Leona said before. How could someone like her, no magic, no knowledge, or even no manners come into this school, have the audacity to think about trying to make a change? How could someone like her even exist when she was reminded how small she was in this big world. She was suddenly reminded by how Jamil treated Kalim. Could...everyone be thinking the same thing as him...? Could everyone be thinking about getting rid of her after all this time? Could she even trust the people she's around? Who really is on her side in this unfamiliar world? Paranoia starts to set in as she tries to focus on something else, but her mind kept going back to the questions plaguing her mind. The man looked at her, seeing that cracks started to appear on her body, and smirks. What could she even do? It's not like anyone here really cares for her. Do they even care for her, or is it just a front to build up trust just to crush it in the end, relishing in her despair? Her eyes try to focus on the area around her, trying not to look at the man in front of her, but his eyes glow, and she has no choice but to look at him. She thinks, trying to not to focus on the man, but instead on what she was here for. She was here trying to help Jamil, no, to help Kalim reconcile with Jamil. She was reminded about how determined Kalim wanted to talk to Jamil, the smile on his face as he laughs with his dormmates, even seeing Jamil smiling as he joins them. Even though it was a long shot, she wanted to help them mend their relationship, at least to know Jamil's side of the story. She calmed down and looked at the man in front of her. She could think about his words later, but right now, she couldn't be distracted from her true goal. She needed to hear Jamil's side of the story to get the full picture, and she wanted to help him. "I..." She starts, the air starting to thin as she looks at the man. "I...w-want to h-help...still..." she struggled to say.