🐍 Schemer of the Scalding Sands: Chapter 3 🐍

"Heys guys! You can stop standing in the middle of the hall and blocking traffic now!" Ruggie tells the four as he stops in front of them, bags in tow.

"Ruggie?" Deuce says, only to be shocked at the number of bags behind him. "Wait, what's with all that luggage?! A backpack, three duffle bags, and a giant cooler..."

"Oh, this? Shyeheehee," Ruggie snickers. "I took all the food that was about to hit its sell-by date at the cafeteria and the school store," he explains. "Since we're about to go on break, they gave 'em to me basically for free."

"For real?" Ace asks in shock. "There's no way you can eat all that."

"You'd be surprised," Ruggie says. "The neighborhood kids devour this stuff like, well...a pack of hyenas." Aren't you a hyena anyway...? "Besides, gotta make sure my grandma eats well over the holidays. Speakin' of which, this frozen food ain't stayin' frozen for long." He gets the bags ready. "Gotta run! Smell ya next year!" He says as he heads towards the Dark Mirror, leaving the four to themselves.

"There he goes..." Deuce says as he watches Ruggie disappear into the Dark Mirror. "What was that about 'neighborhood kids,' though?"

Footsteps approach the four and a shadow towers over them, seeing that Jack was looking at where Ruggie disappeared. "Ruggie comes from a place where food is a bit scarce," he explains with bags and a cactus in hand. "So whenever school lets out for a long break, he stocks up on all the food he can get and shares it with the local kids."

"Oh, that's nice of him," Angel says as she imagines Ruggie handing over food as gifts for the kids.

"What about you, Jack?" Ace asks then looks at the cactus in his hand. "What's with that planter you're hauling? You taking up gardening or something?"

"It's a cactus I've been growin' in my free time," Jack responds. "It'd wither up if I didn't keep it watered over break."

"Ah...I thought cactus grow well with little water," Angel mumbles, only to see Jack look at her. "Sorry, that's what I know about cactus, but it looks pretty healthy. You've been doing a good job with it."

Jack only blushes and scratches his head. "A-anyway, enough about me!" He quickly says, trying not to seem embarrassed by the attention.

"Ruggie's sharin' his food with a bunch of kids who ain't even family, huh? Never knew he had it in him," Grim says with a smile.

"Hyenas believe in sharing spoils equally," Jack explains. "I'm sure that's how Ruggie was raised."

"Hmph. The mere thought of a feeding frenzy like that gives me the willies," Leona says as he walks towards the five, the four looking at him in confusion. "I can barely stand the noise one kid makes as it is," he says with a sigh.

"Does that mean you're skipping out on visiting your family, Leona?" Jack asks.

"Man, I wish," Leona says with a heavy sigh. "Nah, they'd give me no end of grief if I did. I'm goin'. Ugh, talk about a holiday chore."

"But you're not bringing anything?" Jack asks, looking behind Leona, trying to see if there was any luggage but nothing appears.

"So?" He responds. "I got my wallet and smartphone. What else do I need? I got clothes at home anyway."

"This's a whole different kind of extreme," Grim mumbles.

"You're not even bringing your homework, are you?" Ace asks with a sigh.

"Homework can wait until after break," he states, making everyone sigh at his laziness. "Holidays are for resting. Later herbivores and rabbit." He walks towards the Dark Mirror, the five watching his retreating figure.

"He's good enough to do anything when he applies himself, so why doesn't he?" Jack mumbles. "Well, I know I'll be getting mine done. You guys had better do the same," he says as he looks at Ace, Deuce, and Grim. "Later." He walks off, leaving the four.

"Whatever you say, tryhard. See you next year, huh?" Ace says, and Jack only give them a wave back, hearing his comment.

"Leona's commitment to his principles is actually impressive," Deuce states, remembering what Leona said.

"I...don't think that's it," Angel sweat drops.

Soon enough, a pair of footsteps approach the four, them seeing that Cater and Trey approached them, with Cater approaching Angel. "Okay, froshes! Don't let those bad boy upperclassmen give you any bad ideas, you hear? Especially you, teacup. Don't want them to be a bad influence on our innocent little teacup here!" Cater says with a wink.

"In our dorm, if you don't turn in your homework, Riddle makes sure it's off with your head," Trey reminds the two, who only sigh.

"Hey, Trey. Hey, Cater," Ace greets.

"Ugh. Going home is kind of a drag for me, too," Cater says as he lays his head on Angel's shoulder. "I just know my sisters are both coming home. They don't care if it's the holidays- they'll run my ragged anyway," he groans. "I wish I could stay over at your house instead, Trey!"

"You'd be welcome to, but we'd be running you just as ragged. Winter is the patisserie's busiest time of the year," Trey says with smile.

Cater only stiffens and gets off Angel. "Oh yeah, your family runs one of those, huh? So much for any escape," he sighs.

Another pair of footsteps approaches, and everyone saw that it was Riddle, with a sour expression on his face, looking down. "..."

"Erk! Housewarden Rosehearts!" Deuce exclaims, not expecting him to approach them. "Sorry for blocking the way!" He says as he moves over to let him pass.

"Hm?" Riddle hums as he looks up, seeing the freshmen looking at him, specifically Ace and Deuce. "Oh, it's you boys. If you're going to stand around and congregate, at least stay near a wall," he says in a somber tone.

"Huh, he's soundin' kinda defeated," Grim whispers to the group.

Ace scratches his head. "Oh, right. The housewarden's got an extreme case of helicopter parenting waiting for him at home. No wonder he's not enthused about heading back," he whispers.

"Riddle, I'm not allowed in your house, so I won't be able to bring any cakes..." Trey says looking at him. "But you're always welcome to visit me at the store. I'm sure Chenya will drop by to hang out, too."

"Yes, you're right," Riddle says as he closes his eyes in thought. "I think...I'm going to try talking with Mother some." The thought only shocks Angel and Trey. "I don't know if she'll listen, but even so."

"...All right. Good luck," Trey wishes, hoping that Riddle succeeds.

"I hope it works out as well," Angel says to Riddle. "And remember, you're not alone," she smiles at him, and Riddle gives a little smile, remembering what she said all those months ago.

"What'sa matter, Goldfishie? Don't wanna go home?"