🐍 Schemer of the Scalding Sands: Chapter 10 🐍

After their night ride in the sky, Kalim led the carpet down back to the dorm, letting everyone get off, with him helping Angel get off, and leaving the treasure room, where the carpet only waved them goodbye, something that Angel and Grim really can't get used to since they literally rode on it just a little while ago. "Man, that was a BLAST!" Grim happily exclaims as the three walk down the hallway.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," Kalim says with a smile. He looked at the time. "Goodness, though- it's already dinnertime."

Footsteps appear behind them and the three turn around to see Jamil walking towards them, but see a shocked expression on his face at the sight of the girl, mainly surprised at the outfit she had on, thinking it might have been Kalim's doing but quickly looked at Kalim, trying not focus on her outfit and remember his business. "Kalim! You're finally back," he says, trying to keep a calm expression on his face while looking at the three. "I'd like to review something before dinner. Could you join me for a moment?"

"Sure thing," he responds. He turns to the two. "Angel, you and Grim can just make yourselves comfortable in the lounge." He heads towards Jamil and the two walk off, leaving the duo alone. They only looked at each other and head to the lounge per Kalim's instruction.

Once the duo arrived at the lounge, they were shocked at students filling the lounge. When they entered, the students saw the duo, only for some to stare at awe at the girl in her outfit, blushes on their faces as they walk into the room. Angel looked around, seeing that eyes were on her and just tried to look away, mainly keeping an eye on Grim so she won't have to think about the stares she's getting. After finding an open spot, the two sat down, and students started to whisper amongst themselves, some mainly talking about Angel and her outfit and others wondering why they were all called for dinner. "I'm famished," a student groans. "What's for dinner tonight?"

"Our special training today was rough, huh?" Another student says with a sigh.

"Ramshackle Dorm gets a cold breeze blowin' in through cracks in the walls," Grim says with a smile as he nestles himself in the pillows. "Compared to that, this place is paradise! And Kalim's a real pal. I oughta join Scarabia!" He happily says.

Soon a pair of footsteps enter the room, and everyone becomes silent, seeing that Kalim and Jamil entered the room. "Is everyone present?" Jamil announces as he looks around, seeing that all of the students are here. "The housewarden has an announcement for you before we eat."

Whispers start to fill the room, with students looking at each other in confusion. "He does?" A student asks.

"Oh yeah, Kalim was talkin' about that," Grim says as he remembers Kalim's words. "He's callin' off the special training and lettin' Scarabia have their winter break. I bet the students will be overjoyed. Too bad I can't keep feastin' here over the holidays, though!" He says with paws crosses, obviously not liking the idea of free food being taken from him.

Kalim only looks at the students quietly, a stern expression on his face, but for some reason, Angel had a feeling that something was off. She quickly dismissed the idea, thinking that he was trying to put a serious face before announcing the good news. "I decreed that the students of Scarabia would stay in the dorm over winter break for a voluntary six hours of daily studying, if you recall," he starts and everyone only nods, hoping that the news was good. "But I've realized something," he says, getting everyone's attention again. "THAT'S NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH!" He angrily shouts, shocking everyone.

"Huh?!" Everyone exclaims in shock.

"Kalim?" Jamil asks in concern. "I thought you were going to send the students home."

"That's practically the complete opposite of what you said before!" Grim adds.

"A mere six hours a day won't be anywhere near enough to close the gap between our dorm and the others," Kalim sternly states. "We must work twice- no FIVE times as hard as the others to drag ourselves from dead last in grades! Starting tomorrow, I'm tasking all of you with five hours study time and four hours of practical training each day."

The statement shocks everyone. "You're giving 'em NINE HOURS of training a day?!" Grim says in disbelief.

"That's more than a normal school day!" Angel says. "At this rate, the only break students will get is to eat and sleep!"

"There will be a defense magic training drill after dinner. Eat up and ready yourselves!" Kalim announces.

The Scarabia students could only nod meekly at the declaration. "Y-yes, sir!"

Kalim looks at the duo. "Angel, Grim- since you two are visiting, your participation is mandatory! Is that clear?!" He commands, shocking the two even more.

"Whaaa?! Why do we hafta join in?" Grim asks in disbelief.

Angel looks at Kalim in concern as he sits down and start eating, with the students only sadly following behind. "What's gotten into him?" She mumbles as her and Grim are forced to join to the group, dreading the training afterwards. Jamil watch the two eat, seeing their disheartened expressions as they try to enjoy dinner, only to fail at the thought of training. He only sighs and join the group as well. While eating, a sharp pain came to Angel's head, the familiar feeling overcoming her for a moment before disappearing.