CHAPTER 40

After finding a faucet, Lan Wangji quietly turned it on and started to flash water into Xiao Zhan's eyes.

Xiao zhan hissed but kept quiet, he knew that Lan Wangji wasn't happy and he somehow felt the tension radiating from Lan Wangji's face.

After a while, Lan Wangji managed to get rid of the sand inside Xiao Zhan's eyes. Lan Wangji suddenly looked calm after seeing that Xiao Zhan is now relieved of the pain on having sand in your eyes.

"Don't do it again."

In normal situations, Xiao Zhan would have acted dumb and such but he knew that Lan Wangji wouldn't find it funny and so he just softly nodded.

"I'm sorry."

Xiao Zhan was stunned to hear Lan Wangji's apology.

"W-w-what do you mean?"

"I hate it too. The fact that I'm being so childish and such. I don't know Xiao Zhan, I feel so insecure right now. After all, I left you and he didn't. It's just.... frustrating that he was able to be by your side while I just....I'm just there trying so hard for whatever reason my inferiority can give. It annoys me that I didn't choose to stay and I let my pride get the best of me."

"I....I hated you. But no matter how much I convinced myself that my feelings for you are just pure hate and nothing else...I couldn't get myself to believe it. Because I know that it's not true...I know that....I know that I love you. Even after all these years, I loved you and always will. I don't know what more of an assurance I can give you but I do love you right now. It's just...I don't think I'll ever be able to be the sweet, funny and carefree Xiao Zhan you once knew because I- I'm also filled with my own insecurities about you....us."

Lan Wangji smiled.

"I....want to apologize to Jiang Cheng and Peng Chuyue..even to Jackson Wang. I want to talk to them and tell them that I'm sorry."

"What?! No! You don't need to! it's- I'm- I'm okay!"

Lan Wangji shushed Xiao Zhan

"No, I want to. I think they at least deserve it. I want them to give their blessings for the both of us. After all I...I did deserve their cold treatment after pulling such an asshole-y move towards you. I'm sure they felt hurt for you."

Xiao Zhan slowly smiled at Lan Wangji's words and nodded.

Lan Wangji also smiled and at that, the two kissed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peng Chuyue, Jiang Cheng and Jackson Wang was lighting up a fire for their camping when Lan Wangji suddenly appeared and tried to talk to them.

The three were shocked to see Lan Wangji approaching them even without Xiao Zhan with them.

"Where's Xiao Zhan?"

"He's sleeping....in his room, he was tired."

The three gave each other suggestive looks as if doubting whatever Lan Wangji did to make Xiao Zhan so tired to the point of fainting. Lan Wangji, who seemed to notice the three's suggestive looks with each other faked cough to earn the three's attention.

"It's not what you think."

The three then turned away and gave Lan Wangji a silent treatment and treated him as if they were not there.

Lan Wangji sat in front of the three who were still trying to magically make fire while rubbing the kindling they found in the beach.

"You all hate me don't you?"

Jiang Cheng rolled his and answered Lan Wangji in a sarcastic manner.

"Obviously, dzuh."

Peng Chuyue hit Jiang Cheng's Shoulder by his bluntness.

"What?! Don't get a coward and don't ever hit me again bastard!"

The two were trying to start a fight again while Jackson Wang just stayed quiet and observed Lan Wangji's weird behavior.

He wonders why the cocky bastard named Lan Wangji was even here with the three of them.

Lan Wangji sighed while looking at the sight of Peng Chuyue and Jiang Cheng trying to fight again.

The two suddenly has their own world again, Lan Wangji even sometimes wonder if there's a chance that Peng Chuyue and Jiang Cheng is actually a couple that's trying so hard to hide their relationship with each other.

Lan Wangji's attention shifted to Jackson Wang who had been looking at him for a long time.

At that, the two looked at each other and Lan Wangji signaled for Jackson Wang to go with him to a quiet place.

Lan Wangji got up leaving the two fighting while Jackson Wang also followed Lan Wangji.

Lan Wangji stopped walking in a place where no one can see them and looked back at Jackson.

"I...I love Xiao Zhan."

Jackson Wang was speechless....did Lan Wangji call him out here just to brag about his love for Xiao Zhan?

Jackson Wang Sarcastically smirked at Lan Wangji's words.

" What a coincidence, I also happen to hold the same feelings for Xiao Zhan."

"I know."

Jackson Wang raised his right eyebrow at Lan Wangji's answer.

"Then?"

"I....I regret leaving Xiao Zhan and I know how much effort you've done for Xiao Zhan to see you and maybe many people would think that you deserve him more than me but-"

"But what?"

"But I love Xiao Zhan. You may not Believe it but I owe a lot to Xiao Zhan and I'm willing to make it all up by spending my lifetime with him."

"I don't see the point, I can do the same thing."

Lan Wangji sighed.

" I know, I'm just...I'm just saying that I can rival against you. So If you ever rival with me....I...I'm saying that I won't give up and even if he chooses you even though it's a little impossible I...I still won't give up and I'll wait for him to grow tired of you even though that's also impossible because if Xiao Zhan loves someone then he's never gonna be able to unlove that person but-"

Jackson Wang couldn't help but laugh and lan Wangji stopped because of his embarrassment.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're terrible at expressing yourself?"

Lan Wangji just kept quiet as he was speechless and didn't know what to say.

"Anyways, You already know who Xiao Zhan will pick. As you said, when Xiao zhan loves someone, then it's that someone until the end so honestly, I don't care. Just make him happy and I'll let you two be."

"You mean..."

"I'm giving up, bastard. Just treat him right."

Lan Wangji's eyes held pure happiness while Jackson Wang just turned around and walk away while trying to muffle the sobs coming out of his own mouth.

It was the first time that Jackson Wang had tasted the bitterness of not having someone you desperately wanted.