18 ~ 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒍𝒖𝒔𝒕

I parked my car and got out of it. As I closed the door and turned around, I saw Tara getting off the school bus. She is looking at the phone with a smile on her face. The clumsy is about to hit the pole. I quickly walked over and pretended I bumped into her by chance.

— Watch how you walk! — I shouted but I smiled anyway

Tara laughed and shook her head. She put her phone in her pocket and looked at me. It's not awkward at all. However, people around are a bit surprised. Our "friendship" has been going on for almost two weeks since we decided that. I was right that it would be better to reject sexual relations and just talk sometime.

— Nice to see you too — she said

We started walking slowly towards the school.

— School bus? — I asked

— Sam's not home, so yeah.

I wonder where she is then. Has she finally found a boyfriend? Her relationships never worked out. Sam's longest relationship I've heard of lasted two months.

— I could have taken you.

— The buses aren't that bad — Tara shrugged

— Why the fuck don't you have a driver's license? You're eighteen.

— It's better for people that I don't. I would be a terrible driver — she laughed and I nodded — Sam tried to teach me, I even started driving with an instructor but it didn't work out.

— I learned to drive when I was 14. It's not that hard. Maybe someday I'll teach you.

— If you want to die...

— Come here lovebirds! — I heard Liv and I flinched

Lovebirds?! What the fuck McKenzie?

Tara smiled at our friends then looked back at me. She wasn't bothered by what Liv called us? I expected her to be angry.

Liv is waving her arms at us like a crazy girl. Chad hugs her and puffs on his vape. Mindy and Wes don't even look our way. They try to focus their eyes on anything but us.

I haven't spoken to Mindy yet. I don't even know how to start. When she gets angry, it's hard to apologize to her.

— No — I said to Tara

— Yes.

She grabbed my arm and started dragging me to the table where our friends are sitting. Now it's going to be awkward. Mindy looked our way, at Tara holding me. I thought about move away from her, but I have no reason to do it. Me and Tara aren't together, Mindy shouldn't be mad. Besides, I'm not devoted to her.

— It still surprises me when I see you two together! — Liv clapped and Chad waved to us

I didn't answer, just smiled.

— Hello Minds — I said

— Hi — she answered dryly

— Freeman, give me cig.

— Fuck off McKenzie, we talked about it.

— Please? I love you? You're the best? You have a nice ass?

I rolled my eyes and moved away from Tara to take the package out of my handbag. Liv helped herself to one cigarette, and I took one for myself. I lit it and took a drag.

Chad started discussing the next game with Wes, and I chose to ignore it. I can't listen to this bastard.

— So Amber, do you know who to go on a cruise with? — Liv asked