32 ~ 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒂 𝒇𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒚 𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒆𝒓

Since I got sober, I'm here with a new chapter
~~~~~

We stopped outside a restaurant and I pursed my lips. I'd rather run and jump overboard. I'm really afraid. I know my family very well. I know Jill. And I know she knows about this fucked up secret that we tried to hide. If she suspects me and Tara too, it's over for us. I'm sure she would want to break it all down for me if she could. Maybe as an act of revenge? If she has anything to take revenge for at all.

I opened the door and let Tara in first. Everyone is already sitting at the table. My father glared at me, while Blake smiled warmly. I've always liked uncle Blake but knowing whose father he is feels weird. His wife knows nothing. Kate is so enamored with him that she doesn't even suspect him of any secrets. Anyway, Jill is perfect in her eyes, so she's obviously deaf and blind.

We sat next to each other in empty seats at the round table. Fate wanted Jill on my left. I don't look at her and pretend I didn't hear her comment on my appearance. I want her to leave me alone.

— We were afraid you wouldn't come — Blake said

— That would be rude — I said with a smile

— Why don't you introduce us to your... friend — Kate suggested and I looked around confused

Do we really have to play this? Can't we just eat and go?

— She's not your girlfriend? — my mom asked and my blood boiled

— No — Tara replied right away — I'm not into girls.

For sure baby.

— Me and Tara go to school together — I said — And... — thinking how to say it — we belong to the same group of friends.

— I haven't seen you two together before — dad added — Any new friends?

— No. We just didn't like each other very much. It changed.

— Yes, finally — Tara said and smiled

— What's your name again? — my mother asked and I looked at her feeling embarrassed

— Come on, she's Sam's little sister — Jill laughed — We all know Sammy very well.

— We do — mom rolled her eyes and dad reached for a glass of some alcohol

Blake sighed and just looked away. Jill, please shut up already. I do not like it.

— So you don't have any girlfriend, Amber? — Kate asked and I shook my head

A strange look of eye contact passed over my father and Blake. Maybe they're tired of talking about me too.

— She has a different one every week.

When my mother said that, Jill just smirked and Tara clenched her fist. Sometimes I really hate you mom. Why is she doing this? I don't comment on how often she disappears. Maybe I should start?

— Mom...

— Nobody judges you, honey — Kate laughed — I still remember those times when you were in love with Jill.

The girl laughed and stared at me. I can feel Tara's eyes on me too. I looked quickly at my parents. Their faces are expressionless. I don't know who knows what anymore.

— What? — I asked playing dumb

— It was visible — Blake said

— I didn't notice — Jill said, shrugged and kicked me under the table

I made a sour face from the short pain.

— I also used to fall in love with girl older than me when I was a kid. It hurt that they were unavailable, right? — uncle laughed