Page 7

Christopher

Janet finally left for her tour. She'd be back home before her birthday. Until then I was home with Story.

"Where is mommy today" Story asked me.

I lifted my head up from my phone to look at her before answering. "She's in Australia today"

"How is she supposed to do my hair from Australia" she asked laying her sad face on her hand.

"What's wrong with your hair?"

"You only know one hairstyle. Mommy did whatever hairstyle I wanted" she said looking just like her mother.

Janet always did Story's hair she'd give the girl braids, Afro puffs, the list goes on. While she was stuck with me I did what I knew. A simple ponytail, she doesn't need to look different everyday for school.

"Who's at school" I asked her.

"Huh?"

"Why do you need to get all dolled up everyday for school? You need to be focused on them books, not tryna look cute for no boys"

"Daaaad" she whined. "I'm not worried about boys" she said smirking.

"Uh, huh I wasn't born yesterday" I said looking at Joeys text. "Alright your uncle Joeys outside" I said watching her get up from the dinning table.

Story grabbed her backpack before heading for the door. I followed her trying to keep up with her little legs. She was little but fast just like her mother. She turned the door knob to the door but turned around to look at me.

I smiled as she ran into me wrapping her arms around me. "See you later dad" she said before heading out.

"Have a good day in school" I said watching her walk to Joey. He gave me a nod before opening the car door for Story.

While Story was in school I had a gig. I was performing at a small R&B festival. People want to hear me sing nowadays. I get gigs, events and clubs hitting up my team all the time now. The gigs are small compared to Janet's tours but it's something.

I love singing no matter where it is so these gigs really bring another purpose in my life. After my gig I headed straight to my mothers. Joey dropped off Story too.

"Thanks man, do you wanna stay my mom just cooked" I asked Joey.

"Thank you for the offer but my wife just cooked too" he said shaking his head with a grin. "I'll see you next week Story" he said giving her a high five.

"Bye uncle Joey" she said before running straight to the door of the house.

Joey dabbed me up before leaving. "Christopher come inside" I could hear my mothers voice coming from behind me.

I eventually greeted her at the door giving her a quick hug before walking in behind her. "Story what happened to your uniform? You know you have to keep that shirt clean" I heard my mothers voice before following it to the kitchen.

I found Story sitting on a stool at the kitchen island as my mother stood up talking to her. "Grandma it's paint from the paint in art class today" Story spoke.

"Yeah, what did you make in art class today?"

"We painted our dream houses Grandma! I painted a big blue and gold castle. I even painted a room for you and pop pop" she said making my eyes roll to the sound of pop pop.

"Oh yeah, Story that's so sweet of you" she said squeezing Story in a big hug.

"DID SOMEBODY SAY POP POP?" Charles entered the kitchen just with his head as he pocked out from behind a wall. His voice was spooky and silly just for Story.

I watched as her face lit up to the sound of that voice. She gasped before smiling. "POP POP!"

Story jumped down from the stool to run into Charles. I watched as the two of them played. They always do this thing where Story does karate moves. I guess he's supposed to be the sensei.

Charles laughed before looking towards me. "Alright Story are you hungry? Grandma just made some soul food" he said scrunching his nose.

"Yes I'm hungry" she ran off to her grandmother.

Charles eventually made his way over to me. "Hey son, how was your gig" he asked with a toothless smile.

My jaw clenched as I ignored him watching Story make her plate with my mother. "What's the matter" he sighed.

"You called me son" I said shifting my eyes to him under my frowned brows. "I'm not your son and I'll never be your son" I spoke low so the girls wouldn't hear me.

Charles sighed again before he drew his lower lip between his teeth. "Let's talk in the living room"

My eyes rolled before turning around, I walked into the living room before sitting on the couch. He sat next to me, his eyes never left me.

"I only allow Story to call you pop pop because she only has one grandfather and that's Janet's father. You came into her life when she was young. But your just my mothers boyfriend and that's all that you are to me, Capeesh?"

Charles began to smirk nodding his head. "Ok, I just want to be a good grandfather to her. I really care Christopher because I love your mother so deeply" he said making my jaw tighten.

"Your doing to much, ight. Just be her boyfriend. I'm the man of this family. I've been the man since I was a kid. My real father left out so I know how to provide. Back off"

"Christopher those are not my intentions. I just want to be a good husband, I mean" he broke eye contact with a gaped jaw.

"You wanna marry my motha?" My Brooklyn accent was slipping through my teeth.

"If that's ok with you?" He had a sincere look in his eyes. I could tell he meant no harm.

I nodded my head because my mouth wouldn't let the words out. "Is that a yes" he asked.

"Yeah, sure" I said biting my tongue.

"Oh my god" he said smiling from ear to ear at me. "I promise I won't let you down. Thank you Christopher" he said getting up from the couch.

Before he left me to myself I could feel his hand pat my shoulder. I finally met Charles once Story was three. Ever since he moved in with my mom, they've been tight. He's been in Story's life since she was three.

Charles loved her like she was his own blood since day one. He can be the grandfather to my child but he crosses the line when he try's to be my dad. I don't need a dad, I did a good damn job without one.
————————————————————————————
Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did writing it. Vote and comment for more🫶🏽✨