Page 32

Janet

Story ended up falling asleep on Stevanna's couch watching tv. "Is she knocked out" Stevanna asked me.

"Yeah, our little artist is tried from all of that drawing" I said in a sarcastic tone.

Stevanna began to laugh as we sat at her kitchen island. "So what's next for you" I asked her.

Stevenna frowned her brows. "What do you mean?"

"When are you moving into a house and out of this apartment" I questioned.

She looked around the room then back at me. "What's wrong with this apartment? This is one of the nicest apartment's in the city. I don't think I need all of that space right now Janet, I'm only one person"

"You want a family first?"

"I do"

"So your giving me grand babies" I questioned.

She grinned looking at me before licking her grin off of her face. "Can they even call you grandma?"

I quickly glanced over Stevanna's shoulder at Story feeling my throat getting tighter. "That was a low blow"

"No it's a serious question. My kids will call Eliz their grandmother" those words cut me like a knife.

My jaw trembled as I felt my eyes water. Stevanna instantly ran around the kitchen island to hug me. "I know it's hard to hear this but it's the truth"

"I really wish it wasn't like this" I spoke.

"Mom" Story's voice caused Stevanna and I to jump out of each others arms. We separated from our hug looking at Story who stood in the kitchen all of a sudden. She stood there fidgeting with her hands staring directly at me.

"Yes baby" I questioned.

"Are you crying" she asked.

My face changed into a warm smile. "No Story come here" I demanded.

She walked into my arms as I held her close to my chest. "Tell Stevanna you'll see her later, it's time to go home"

She lifted her head up at me. "No! I'm not ready to go home yet" she creased her angry brows looking at me.

"Don't raise your voice at me go put your shoes on, we're leaving" I said stern.

Later that night Christopher ranted to me about something while in bed. I didn't even know what he was talking about. I was still thinking about what Stevanna had said to me.

I laid in bed facing Christopher holding my head up as if I was paying attention. His mouth continued to talk as I looked over his shoulder zoned out.

"JANET" his booming voice woke me up.

My eyes widened staring right at him. He looked me up and down frowning his face. "Were you even listening?"

"No and I'm sorry" I spoke reaching my hand to place it on his lap. "I'm not here right now"

"Yeah I can tell" he chuckled. "Tell me, what's on your mind?"