Page 69

Christopher

Janet stared with blink eyes, I couldn't read her emotion and it scared me. So I reached my hand out slowly, hoping that she would take it. I raised my brows and jerked my head in a come here motion.

"Please, I won't bite" I spoke in a comic tone trying to lighten the mood.

"No" she said with a straight face.

"J, it's nine at night, Stevanna's probably got plans. You're not seriously thinking of going over there?"

"I'm serious" she nodded her head. She began taking a step back, she maintained her intense stare before heading upstairs. Of course I followed her like a lost puppy to the bedroom.

She grabbed her phone and keys before trying to leave but I blocked the doorway. Looking up at me she tilted her head. "Move" she demanded.

"No, why are you so against me, you're hardheaded. Baby just listen to me" I demanded

She crossed her arms looking off away from me. "I love you, I'm not your enemy. You're not alone okay" I said placing my hand on my heart. "Story's been acting strange towards me too, she's having a hard time trusting adults but you need to talk to her"

"She won't talk to me Christopher" she whined.

"You're not trying hard enough, stay here with us tonight J"

"I'll escape when you fall asleep" she said.

What she said was so ridiculous it had to be a joke. I broke my stare to laugh and she giggled. "I'll stay" she spoke above a whisper.

"Good" I sighed. "You see all of these grays" I began touching my beard. "Each hair is for you" I widened my eyes playfully.

She gasped with a smile. I walked up to her wrapping my arms around her and rocked with her in my arms, side to side. We rocked slowly, in the peaceful silence in our room.

"Let me check on Eissa, I promise I'll be back" I said, she looked up at me with a softened look.

"Ok, don't take too long" she said with a sensual smirk.

She giggled as I let go of her. For once it felt normal between the two of us. Ever since she told the world about Stevanna, we've been at odds. She wouldn't open up to me about her feelings. Instead she'd spend all of her time with Stevanna.

I was happy for her, she was finally building that motherly bond with her daughter. On the other of things, she was neglecting her family at home. Eissa says he's okay but I don't know if he really means it. I'm honestly worried about him and Story's a whole different person.

She only leaves her room for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Whenever we talk, she gives me short answers and when I bring up serious topics she won't answer me. It worries me everyday, the more that we just ignore each other's feelings, the worse it gets.

No one asks about my feelings but I'm not surprised at all. Janet's family calls me everyday, from her brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews. They all ask how she's doing but never about me. I tell them the same thing every time, ask her yourself.

That night, I was feeling optimistic about Janet and I. It seemed that she was finally focused on our family at home or at least focused on us. She sat up in bed on her end, she wore her reading glasses, her eyes read the book in her hands.