Page 38

Janet

"Story" I whined. "Can you sit still" I demanded.

"Sorry mom" she said facing her head straight.

I began braiding Story's hair into jumbo box braids. She kept begging me to braid her hair all week. I couldn't help myself but to check my phone every two minutes looking for a text from Christopher.

The more I checked my phone the more anxious I grew. My right leg began to shake as my curiosity grew while braiding Story's hair. "Mom how much longer till your done?"

"Give me thirty more minutes Story. I just finished one corner of your head" she stayed quiet watching Disney channel on the tv.

Story finally broke our silence. "Why didn't Dad let go of Denzy's hand yesterday?"

I stayed quiet for a moment, it was a hard question to answer. "I don't know baby"

"I think he was hurting him, you saw it"

"I don't know baby, why don't you put a movie on the tv" I said avoiding her questions.

She eventually put on Nutty Professor as I continued braiding her head. "Story why this movie" I whined.

"I like this movie, it's funny and you look pretty" she spoke in an upbeat tone.

I hated this movie because I was in it. Watching my movies and tv shows makes me cringe. Since my daughter said I was pretty I let it slide. Her words put a smirk on my face.

Once I had half of her head done I could hear the front door open. I paused listening to his footsteps followed by the sound of the door closing.

Eventually Christopher walked past us only acknowledging Story. "Heyy Story, your hair looks beautiful" he said as he made his way out of the room.

"Thanks dad" she sung as she sat between my legs.

After finishing her hair I immediately began looking for him. It wasn't that hard finding him. I could hear the loud sound of someone biting an apple coming from the kitchen.

Entering the kitchen I saw the back of his head as he stood at the kitchen island. "Hey" I said. I watched as he turned around holding the half eaten apple in his hand.

After making eye contact he quickly looked down at his apple. "Hey"

Making my way around the kitchen island I faced him from the opposite side. Leaning on the counter I stared at him as he ate his apple avoiding my eyes.

"So why'd you squeeze the fuck out of my dancers hand last night" I asked tilting my head.

I watched as he swallowed his food before licking his lips. "I wasn't thinking—"

"No shit" I said cutting him off.

He squinted his eyes at me creasing his forehead. "Will you let me finish?"

I stood there crossing my arms. "I don't like him, I think it's disrespectful you got my daughter around him calling him little nicknames. And he's never been introduced to me"