Page 63

Christopher

Janet was on edge after the Betty incident, so I made sure to call her that night. I told her I needed her at the house by the morning. She showed up five minutes early and I made sure she came before the kids normally woke up. I didn't want them to witness me firing her.

We started talking casually like normal before she asked why I called her in. "Betty" I said covering my mouth. It was hard for me to spit it out. "Janet and I no longer trust you. Betty I have to let you go. I would like to have the key back to the house. You can leave it on the table, Joey will you see out"

She dropped her jaw and laughed to herself. "You don't trust me" she repositioned herself to the edge of the chair. We sat in my office and she sat in the seat in front of my desk holding her purse. "Mr. Williams, I need this job" her eyes widened. "And I love Eissa and Story like they're my own" she looked and sounded so sincere.

"Why were you installing cameras in my home" I asked squinting my serious stare.

She was speechless with a gaped mouth. "Why didn't you inform my wife and I when company was over while we were out of the house?"

"Mr. Williams, I'm so sorry"

"Why are you sorry" I narrowed my brows. "Delete our numbers, remove everything you have that traces back to my family. Joey will make sure you get rid of everything, so don't try no sneaky shit"

She closed her gaped mouth and got up from her seat. "Uh, uh where do you think you're going" I asked standing up.

Her eyes widened in a surprised stare. "Who were you installing the cameras for? Who are you hiding?"

Her eyes wandered around the room, I could see a drop of sweat falling down her forehead. "It's not hot in here" I stated.

Her eyes met mine and I could see the fear behind her eyes. "Who is it Betty" I spoke with frustration in my voice. "Let me help you, if not I'll get my lawyer involved"

"There's no need for lawyers Mr. Williams, I put the cameras up for extra security" she finally spoke.

"That's a bold face lie and you know it. You know what I'm done with you, I'll find whoever the bastard is anyway. Go and don't ever come back" I spoke with hostility in my voice.

After Joey checked her out I poured him a drink. We clinked our glasses at bar in the basement. I leaned against the bar before taking my whisky to the head and cleaned my glass. Joey looked at me as if I had ten heads.

"Are you okay?"

"No, I wont rest till I figure this shit out. She was protecting somebody, do you know anybody that can trace who's watching the cameras?"

Joey sighed looking upwards before looking back at me. "Yeah, I know somebody. I haven't gave em a call in a long time but I'll call em for you"

"Thanks man, you're welcome to pour yourself some more. I'm gonna let Janet know Betty is gone"

I left Joey downstairs before heading upstairs, to find Janet in the living room. She sat on the couch with her legs up comfortably and Story laid down next to Janet on her phone. Janet was in her phone too with her reading glasses on, she began to laugh at her phone as I got closer.