Page 28

Janet

"Hey Janet how are you feeling" Johnny asked me.

"I'm hanging in there, I gotta be strong for the kids" I said as he held me in his embrace. Johnny Gil has always been a good friend of mine. He's also a singer in the industry, we met a long time ago in the 90s.

"Thanks for coming" I said giving him a half smile.

"You don't need to thank me" he placed his hand on my shoulder. I could see his eyes under his glasses as they shifted from me to Eissa. I held Eissa in my arms as we were face to face.

Today was his first funeral. Only after two days of being home after the tour I got the call. Tito called me telling me Joseph passed after the cancer attacked his heart.

Johnnys smile grew as he faced Eissa. "Look at you Eissa, you are your mommy's twin" he smiled tapping Eissa's shoulder.

Eissa laid his head on my shoulder instead of responding. "Hey I know you don't remember me but I love you man. Give me a pound" Johnny said raising his fist to Eissa.

"Go ahead baby, give Johnny a fist bump" I said to him.

Eissa lifted his head off of me before lifting his tiny fist. They bumped fist and Johnny dramatically went in circles after blowing up his fist. Johnny was acting ridiculous making Eissa giggle a little.

Johnny stopped facing Eissa. "I got you smiling that's all that matters" he spoke in a upbeat tone.

I smiled watching Eissa began to blush. Eissa shook his head before hiding his face in the crook of my neck. I began to rub his back watching as Joey and Christopher helped my mother out of the limbo. The both of them held her upper half helping her into her wheelchair.

Stevanna held Story as she cried. Story loved Joseph because he always treated her like she was his one and  only grandchild. When he said she was his favorite grandchild he meant it. Eissa was a little too young to understand what was going on.

 Eissa was a little too young to understand what was going on

I had to be strong for him, I couldn't let him see me cry. So I held back my tears behind my black shades. "Janet" my mother said holding my free hand. "Sit next to me when we get inside the church" she said looking at me with her puffy eyes.

Her grip was tight and shaky. I nodded my head instantly trying not to cry in front of Eissa. "Ok mother" my words trembled as I felt my throat tighten.

Christopher pushed her wheelchair as we entered the church. Looking into Joseph's casket was weird. I never imagined this day coming. Stevanna held Eissa I didn't want him to see his grandfather like this.