Zoe is a princess, and Gray is her bodyguard. Zoe possesses a fiery temper that always seems to get the better of her, while Gray remains calm and patient. Despite their differences, Zoe and Gray are best friends. However, Zoe's anger often leads her to say hurtful things to Gray, making him feel terrible about himself. Nevertheless, Gray always forgives her apologies.

Over time, things worsen between Zoe and Gray. Zoe's anger escalates to the point where she throws things at him and screams and shouts. One day, she even orders Gray to be whipped in the dungeons for discipline. "I despise you, Grayson!" she exclaims in a fit of rage.

The next morning, Zoe completely forgets what she had ordered until she passes Gray in a corridor. He is being dragged by two guards, who appear on the verge of tears. Gray stumbles along, his suit ripped, wounds covering his back, and his body caked in blood. Dark circles under his eyes and bruises on his face indicate that he must have been slapped. Zoe stops the guards and instructs them to escort Gray to her private quarters, while also alerting the Head Nurse. The guards are delighted that Gray is finally receiving the treatment they believe he deserves.

In Zoe's bedroom, Gray hardly speaks to her as the nurse tends to his wounds. He doesn't flinch once, and his expression remains emotionless. "Gray..." Zoe begins as the nurse leaves. Gray mutters a thanks and leaves, leaving Zoe open-mouthed and teary-eyed.

The next day, Gray returns as Zoe's bodyguard. She implores him to rest more, but he explodes, revealing the torment he endured the previous night. "Zoe, I was whipped all last night and couldn't sleep a wink. I can't sleep now because my wounds are too sore and still bleeding, and because I have nightmares, okay?" He immediately regrets his outburst and apologizes. It is the first time Zoe has ever seen him angry.

"Gray..." Zoe feels terrible, realizing that this is how she makes Gray feel every day she is angry. Tears fall from her eyes, and Gray's smile fades. He looks broken. Zoe embraces him and asks, "What's wrong, Zoe?" She wrenches herself out of his grasp, causing Gray to gasp in pain. He catches himself on a table, brushing the hair that has fallen into his eyes. Zoe gasps at the sight of him.

"I'm fine," Gray replies, panting heavily through the pain, his eyes clenched shut. He carefully checks his wounds with a precision only known through experience. Zoe watches him for several minutes, noticing the multitude of wounds. "Are you-" she begins to ask, but Gray interrupts her. "I'm fine, Zoe."

Zoe pauses, observing Gray's pain-filled gaze. She shrugs and continues, "Gray, I made you feel terrible every day, and yet you still protect me and remain my friend." She apologizes to him for her actions. Gray smiles, causing his lip wound to reopen. He wipes away the blood with his suit sleeve, leaving a stain. "Oh, Gray..." Zoe says, placing a hand over her mouth.

"Zoe, I have been injured before, you know," Gray says, laughing broken-heartedly. Zoe stores that information away for later. The two embrace, with Zoe being mindful of Gray's wounds. "Now," Zoe says, "go get a plaster for your lip, Gray. I won't have you bleeding all over the castle." Gray's face falls, and he asks, "So, not like yesterday?" His uncertainty breaks Zoe's heart.