lockwood and co

Chapter 1: Forgotten Birthday

Lockwood's birthday had arrived, but Lucy and George had completely forgotten. It wasn't until Lockwood returned home, covered in cuts and bruises, his suit ripped from a mission they had just completed, that they realized their mistake.

"Lockwood, what happened to you?" Lucy exclaimed, rushing over to him. She could see the pain etched on his face as he winced with every movement.

"I'll be fine, Lucy," Lockwood replied, his voice strained. "Just a little mishap during the mission. Nothing to worry about."

George, always the sarcastic one, chimed in, "Well, it looks like you had a grand old time without us, Lockwood. Should we throw you a party to celebrate?"

Lockwood managed a weak smile, but Lucy could see the disappointment in his eyes. She couldn't believe they had forgotten his birthday, especially after all the times he had gone out of his way to make their birthdays special.

As Lucy helped Lockwood clean up and patch his wounds, she couldn't shake off the guilt that weighed heavily on her heart. She remembered how Lockwood had postponed all missions on her birthday, making sure she felt loved and appreciated. And now, they had let him down.

Just as they finished tending to Lockwood's injuries, the phone rang. Lockwood answered, with Lucy and George standing nearby, their guilt still lingering in the air.

"Hello?" Lockwood said, his voice a little shaky.

Lucy strained to hear the voice on the other end of the line. It was Lockwood's Aunt Clara, calling to wish him a happy birthday. Lucy's heart sank even further. Aunt Clara believed Lockwood's parents were still alive, and he had always played along to keep her happy.

"Thank you, Aunt Clara," Lockwood replied, his voice filled with warmth. "Yes, I'm having a party tonight. My parents are here too, safe and well."

Lucy exchanged a worried glance with George. They both knew Lockwood's parents had died years ago, but they also knew how much Aunt Clara meant to him. He didn't want to shatter her illusion of his parents still being alive.

After a few more minutes of conversation, Lockwood hung up the phone. He turned to Lucy and George, a forced smile on his face.

"Well, it seems we're throwing a party tonight," Lockwood said, his voice tinged with sadness. "My parents will be joining us."

George rolled his eyes, but Lucy could see the guilt in his expression. She knew he felt bad for forgetting Lockwood's birthday.

"I'm sorry, Lockwood," Lucy said, her voice filled with remorse. "We should have remembered. We'll make it up to you, I promise."

Lockwood nodded, his smile now genuine. "It's alright, Lucy. I understand. Let's just focus on making Aunt Clara happy tonight."

As they prepared for the party, Lucy couldn't help but reflect on the importance of birthdays and the impact they had on their friendship. She vowed to never forget another birthday again, especially not Lockwood's. And she knew George felt the same way.

Together, they would make this party one to remember, not just for Aunt Clara, but for Lockwood too. They would show him just how much he meant to them, even if it was a little late.