lockwood and co.

Chapter 1: The Aftermath

Lockwood stumbled through the front door of 35 Portland Row, his body battered and bruised from the night's mission. His once impeccable suit was now torn and tattered, evidence of the dangerous encounter they had just faced. Lucy and George followed closely behind, their own injuries less severe but still visible.

"Lockwood, are you alright?" Lucy asked, concern etched on her face as she rushed to his side.

"I'll be fine," Lockwood replied, his voice strained. "Just a few scratches and bruises, nothing I can't handle."

George rolled his eyes, his sarcasm evident. "Oh, just a few scratches and bruises? You look like you've been through a war, Lockwood."

Ignoring George's comment, Lockwood made his way to the bathroom to clean up. Lucy and George exchanged worried glances before following him. They knew better than to leave Lockwood alone after a mission like this.

As Lockwood tended to his wounds, the phone rang, its shrill sound echoing through the empty house. Lucy hurried to answer it, knowing that Lockwood needed a moment to himself. She held the receiver to her ear, her heart pounding with anticipation.

"Lockwood and Co., how can I help you?" Lucy said, her voice steady despite the chaos that had just unfolded.

"Lucy, is Lockwood there?" a familiar voice asked on the other end of the line.

Lucy's eyes widened in surprise. It was Lockwood's Aunt Clara, calling to wish him a happy birthday. She had no idea that they had just returned from a dangerous mission.

"Yes, Aunt Clara, he's here," Lucy replied, glancing at Lockwood, who had emerged from the bathroom, his wounds now bandaged.

Lockwood took the phone from Lucy, his expression a mix of exhaustion and forced cheerfulness. "Hello, Aunt Clara! Yes, it's my birthday today. Thank you for remembering."

Lucy and George watched as Lockwood's face lit up with a smile, his voice filled with warmth and affection. They knew that Lockwood's aunt believed his parents were still alive, a secret they had all kept from her to spare her the pain of knowing the truth.

"Oh, yes, Aunt Clara, we're having a party tonight," Lockwood continued, his eyes darting to Lucy and George, who were listening intently. "My parents are here too, safe and well. They send their love."

Lucy felt a pang of guilt as she remembered the times when Lockwood had postponed missions to celebrate her birthday. She knew how much his family meant to him, even if they were only a figment of his imagination.

After a few more minutes of conversation, Lockwood bid his aunt goodbye and hung up the phone. He turned to Lucy and George, his smile fading.

"I'm sorry, guys," Lockwood said, his voice filled with regret. "I didn't mean to lie to Aunt Clara, but I couldn't bear to break her heart."

Lucy reached out and placed a hand on Lockwood's arm, offering him comfort. "We understand, Lockwood. We're here for you, no matter what."

George nodded in agreement, his usual sarcasm replaced by genuine concern. "Yeah, mate. We've got your back, even if it means pretending to be your parents at a birthday party."

Lockwood chuckled weakly, grateful for his friends' understanding. "Thanks, guys. I don't know what I'd do without you."

As they stood there, the three friends, battered and bruised, found solace in each other's presence. They knew that the dangers they faced as agents of Lockwood and Co. were not just physical but emotional as well. And together, they would face whatever challenges came their way, supporting each other every step of the journey.

Little did they know that this birthday would mark the beginning of a new chapter in their lives, one filled with secrets, mysteries, and the unbreakable bond of friendship.