CAL KESTUS

Title: Shadows of the Heart

Chapter 1: A Rift in the Morning

The morning sun cast its warm glow upon the Mantis, the starship that served as the home for Cal Kestus and his companions. As the crew gathered around the breakfast table, the air was filled with a mix of anticipation and camaraderie. However, there was an underlying tension that threatened to disrupt the harmony.

Merrin, the night witch who had found solace and love in Cal's arms, was still adjusting to life aboard the Mantis. Her fiery spirit clashed with the lighthearted banter of Greez and the calm demeanor of Cere. Today, her frustration reached its peak.

Cal, as was his habit, had left for a mission without saying a word to anyone. To Merrin, this was an unforgivable offense. She glared at Greez and Cere, her eyes burning with anger. "How can you two just sit there and act like it's normal for him to leave without a word? Don't you care?"

Greez, always quick with a sarcastic remark, chuckled and replied, "Well, sweetheart, Cal's got a habit of disappearing without a trace. It's like his own special brand of Jedi magic."

Cere, ever the voice of reason, shrugged and said, "Merrin, Cal has always been like this. He's a Jedi, and sometimes they have to go on missions at a moment's notice. It's just the way things are."

Merrin's frustration grew, her voice trembling with emotion. "But I don't understand! How can you all be so nonchalant about it? He could be in danger, hurt, or worse!"

Just as the tension threatened to escalate further, the door to the Mantis slid open, revealing a battered and bruised Cal. Despite his injuries, a smile graced his face as he leaned against the wall for support. However, his smile quickly faded as he took in the worried expressions of his friends.

"Are you guys okay?" Cal furrowed his brow, causing blood to drip down his face. He looked exhausted, his body covered in cuts and bruises. He limped lightly over to the kitchen counter, his voice tinged with exhaustion as he tried to diffuse the situation.

Merrin's anger melted away, replaced by concern. She rushed to his side, her eyes filled with worry. "Cal, what happened? Are you hurt?"

Cal chuckled weakly, his hand reaching up to rub at the blood on his forehead, causing it to spread. "Just a little run-in with some unfriendly locals. Nothing I couldn't handle."

Greez, unable to resist a jab, chimed in, "Yeah, Cal here decided to take on a whole army by himself. You know, just another day in the life of a Jedi."

Cere, her concern evident, placed a gentle hand on Cal's arm. "You should have told us, Cal. We worry about you."

Cal's exhaustion was evident as he leaned against the counter, his eyes meeting Merrin's. "I'm sorry, Merrin. I didn't mean to worry you. I'll try to be more considerate next time."

Merrin's anger dissipated completely, replaced by a deep sense of love and understanding. She reached out and took Cal's bloodstained hand in hers, her voice filled with tenderness. "Just promise me you'll always come back to me, no matter what."

Cal's tired smile returned, his grip on Merrin's hand tightening. "I promise, Merrin. I'll always come back to you."

As the crew of the Mantis gathered around their injured friend, the morning tension was replaced by a renewed sense of unity and love. In the face of danger, their bond grew stronger, and they knew that together, they could overcome any obstacle that came their way.

And so, their journey continued, with love and resilience guiding their every step.

Note: This fanfiction novel is a work of fiction and is not affiliated with the official Star Wars franchise.