Tempt the Devil: Chapter 6: Sarah

I woke with a fright, hearing the voices of my neighbors talking. The walls were so thin it was ridiculous. I was lucky they were old and rarely got amorous. That, I did not need to hear.

But more concerning than the elderly neighbors that got more action than I did was the fact that I was in my bed and in my bed clothes. I could have sworn I had followed Anton through the streets. He had walked to Carnegie Hall and then backtracked to the museum. If that was the case then how come I was at home and in my bed? Did I dream it? I guess I did.

The alarm clock blared at me that it was nine am already. I had to get ready for this meeting. Not sure on why he wanted to help but I guess it was a nice gesture. Reluctance and hesitation were dripping through me, though I suppose some form of help might be beneficial. But what if he wanted to invest money and become a partner? Did I want to share my business with another person? That was a stupid question, if it saved the restaurant then the answer was yes.

I had paced the floors deciding on what to do that I didn't realize that it was already ten am.

"Jeepers." I cried out, grabbing my keys and purse.

The door slammed shut and I raced down the stairs, pushing out the main doors to the street. Anton was walking up the street looking just as incredible as last night. He looked amazing in a suit. I crossed the street after the taxi drove by, scampering across the street I saw Igor coming from the other direction. A little odd but I said nothing.

"You were right about those two." he started, "I told them to never come back or I tell the police."

Igor's face went rigid as he stood firm. "You lost nothing last night because I stopped them. Locksmith is on his way."

"Uh, thank you, Igor."

"Is good, I like this place, I like you. You are a good boss. Master will help you flourish. He is a good man."

I frowned at Igor as I unlocked the door and turned off the alarm.

"Why did you call him master, Igor?"

"Master is a respectful way of saying mister boss for Russians."

"Uh-huh," I said dryly. "So now you're Russian? I thought you were Romanian."

"No, you mistake my words. I am from Russia."

I didn't mistake his words. I heard him perfectly well.

Anton walked into the shop and I watched as Igor tipped his head and scurried away before I could question him anymore. These two know each other.

"How do you know Igor?"

"I know lots of people, Sarah, it's my business to. I travel a lot as well."

"So did you meet him in his home country of Croatia?"

He smiled at me and leaned a little closer.

"Russia Sarah, the man is from Russia."

A blonde woman pushed through the door.

"We're not open."

"Sarah this is Delano. She will handle the front desk for you until you find someone suitable."

The woman in the tight dress turned the sign from closed to open and planted herself on the stool behind the counter. I stared in disbelief as the door pushed open again and a dozen people of male and female variety walked in.

"And these are your helpers."

Anton walked to the front counter and picked up several bundles of papers, handing out great stacks to the well-dressed people. After they turned and left the shop more came in.